Chapter 8: Normalcy

KOTA

The living room is touched by dim sunlight. The lack of buzzing assures Kota that the sun hasn't risen yet. He sits in the oval in the living room, watching his parents sweep away the herb leaves. I don't know if I should leave the circle. Did the cleansing work? What if I get the urge to taste blood? What if I become a demon again? I can't hurt anyone else. I wonder if my folks figured out a solution. "Is there any hope?" He asks his mother.

Odina gives a grin. "Yes, my walela (hummingbird). You are free of the blood curse for a few days."

Her son gives a relieved sigh. "Does this mean I can go to the Pow-Wow?"

"Yes...but don't roam too far just in case the spell doesn't hold," Matto warns.

He smiles. "I won't." Yes! I want to get out of the house and be normal...not locked into a circle scaring my family. I just want to get past that phase. It's been two days. I could use a distraction...and some fun. This year's Pow-Wow will be the biggest one yet. All the love will aid my dark soul. I always feel safe at the celebration. The excited smile fades from his face. But...then I don't want to be out; that vampire is around. No one is safe...no one should be out. "What about the other vampire? Should anyone be going to the Pow-Wow? It's not safe."

Odina shakes her head. "All is fine. The creature is no longer in range, according to my locator spell. It has left. Everyone here is safe. Come...." She holds out her hand. "Everything is alright." Kota exits the oval to grasp his mother's hand.

"What about school?"

Matto grimaces. "We decided you shouldn't return."

"Why not? Mom said I have a few days..."

"I know...but you're still dangerous...you're not a normal teenager anymore. If you have a mood swing, who knows what you'll do? Your strength is dangerous."

"Plus...school will only remind you of your friends," Odina speaks gravely. "It's all too soon."

Kota sulks. "Do their parents know?"

"I gave an anonymous call to the police. I thought I'd spare them of hanging missing person posters."

"Has anything been arranged? A service of some kind?" Kota wonders.

"Not that I know of. I'll ask around." If there are burials planned, I hope they're closed casket for their parents' sake. He blocks out the image of their mutilated bodies. "Let's not dwell on it. Come help me with the pudding." His mom leads him to the kitchen. The shades are drawn there too, to protect him from the daylight. Kota eyes the window. "How long until I can be in the sun?"

"I called your grandad for answers. He says it'll have to be something you wear...jewelry of some sort. I'll have to do some reading on hexing."

"But we always arrive at noon for the Pow-Wow, not at night..."

Odina plugs up an industrial mixer. "Don't worry, just enjoy the day." She collects ingredients from the fridge. Cornstarch, sugar, baking soda, salt, chocolate soy milk, and vanilla extract. 

Kota helps her pour tablespoons into the mixer. Dyani passes the archway. He notes how fast she zooms by. He huffs and looks away sadly. "Dy hates me."

"She doesn't...this is just a huge adjustment. She'll come around." Odina powers on the mixer and sets it on the third speed limit. He cringes at the sound, as he's done before. The machine is beyond loud. It sounds as if a chainsaw is in his head. He muffles a yell of anguish, yet a groan still escapes. His mother realizes his discomfort and turns it off. "Oh, my dear, I'm sorry. I'll ask grandad how to ease your senses." She gathers two whisks and lifts the top of the mixer. The two use the tools to churn the chocolate liquid.