Chapter 35 Cliffside Showdown

Cover Story 39: Operation Goh Time 2: The Beast that Walks on Water 2

Last time, Goh goes with the team for Project Mew to the Isle of Armor to find the mysterious Walking Wake (a Pokemon that looks like a Suicune) before Amaranth's brother Albus (who was in Area Zero when he lost his wife and daughter) captures it for unknown purposes. They will be staying at the Isle of Armor, an island owned by a good friend of his Mustard who has an attractive wife that surprises Goh, Horrace and even Gary despite his cool attitude.

Goh and the crew walk to the dojo and while walking to the dojo, Goh learns that Horrace recently let go of Virizion due to them sensing their comrades were in trouble in the Crown Tundra so not wanting to restrict Virizion, Horrace let them go and though saddened, he doesn't let that bother him. It's when Goh was heading to the dojo however, he spots a Galarian Slowpoke seemingly harassing a mysterious bear Pokemon that he catches the Slowpoke, Goh goes to check on the small Pokemon that resembles a karate student as Goh heals his leg and gives him a berry. The Pokemon looked appreciated but before Goh could catch it, the Pokemon runs off as he sees Klara and Avery who looked angrily at Goh saying that someone like him shouldn't be interacting with 'that' Pokemon because it's special.

Klara decides to battle Goh but before she could, both Klara and Avery were scared off by Quillon and Danika who didn't appear afraid of them and says they'll get them back. Danika apologizes for their behavior saying she and Quillon knew them from their days at Mustard's dojo. Klara is a famous influencer who looks nice on the surface but is very toxic but literally and figuratively and after an incident where she doxxed a fan of hers, she was ordered by her family to go on the island while Avery comes from a long line of Psychics but Avery acts better than everyone and one day, he tormented a fellow student to the point they left town. As punishment by the school, he was expelled but Mustard made a deal with them to rehabilitate Avery so he can be nicer and make up for himself.

Quillon tells Goh not to let them bother him and explains that the Pokemon he saw was Kubfu, the dojo's treasure. Later on, Project Mew gets settled in and Goh decides to search out Walking Wake, but Mustard suggests joining the dojo and although Goh objects and says he's not a battler and he needs to search for Walking Wake, Amaranth suggests it since they haven't seen Albus and Wake is very illusive so it will be a while and Goh relents. In celebration, Mustard asks for a quick battle between the two as he wants to see what Goh is capable of. Though not as good as a battler as Ash, Goh decides to give it all with his Cinderace against Mustard's Mianshao.

Cinderace rushed in with Double Kick as Mienshao blocked the hits before preparing to use its High Jump Kick, Goh thinks and tells Cinderace to use Blaze Kick to clash with HJK, Goh sees another opportunity as he commands Cinderace to use Quick Attack, but Cinderace's body glows a light blue and through evasive maneuvers, he hits Mienshao with an Acrobatics impressing both Goh and Mustard. Goh orders Pyro Ball and launches it as Mienshao but Mustard orders a burger. (I'm just joking)

He orders a Triple Axel to send it back as Mienshao's legs glow and is covered with ice and kicks the Pyro Ball back at Cinderace's head dizzying him allowing Mustard an opportunity for an attack with High Jump Kick as Goh asks Cinderace to get back in control and he does use Acrobatics as both Pokemon clash knocking each other. Everyone's surprised but Mustard has a good laugh and gives both Pokemon a Sitrus Berry congratulating them and allowing Goh to join as a student but Klara and Avery object to this saying they're allowing a random nobody who isn't supposed to be here as a student.

Goh then twists that and asks aren't they technically 'nobodies' since they weren't supposed to be here but are due to their troublemaker status. This gets the two riled up, but Mustard stops the fight with "Dinner!" and after enjoying a delicious dinner. Goh sees Kubfu from a distance from the outside who looks on shyly. Quillon congratulates Goh on making it to the dojo, but Quillon tells him it's fine. Goh asks why he and Danika were embarrassed to go back home and although Quillon scoffs, he eventually admits that Mustard and Honey were the parental figures he never had, and parents are usually embarrassing. He doesn't know Danika's full background, but it sounds similar to his.