Chapter 46

As soon as the morning came, I ate and continued the journey. I could feel that I had become awkward with Leto since last night.

Even so, there was still strength in his hand holding mine. Leto even continued to warn me not to step on the orbs.

The more he did, the more worried I became that I might be a burden to him.

Not only did I unintentionally upset Leto, but it's also because of me that his sleep was made uncomfortable so far.

I stared at Leto's back.

"What are you thinking?"

Leto suddenly turned his head.

"What?"

"There's a sign ahead."

I shifted my eyes to where Leto pointed.

[20,000 steps to the West of the golden orb.]

Fortunately, the designer of this forest seemed to still have the conscience to put up a sign. Twenty thousand steps wasn't even a long distance.

"Is that sign real?"

"No matter how weird the wizards who work in this institution are, they wouldn't play around with this."

That's right.

"Leah, we can really find the golden orb!"

It hasn't even been 24 hours since we entered the forest. If we follow the sign, we may be able to set the shortest record.

When I was pleased by the fact, Leto smiled slightly and nodded. Although he doesn't really express it, Leto must be happy, too.

The problem was the black orbs. I came this far, but I couldn't step on the black orb and get us lost elsewhere.

Leto also looked more closely at the ground than before. Along with the carefully moving steps, I was excited to find the golden orb soon.

"Bree."

I was walking carefully when Leto suddenly called my name.

"I'm sorry for being sensitive."

He spoke in a grave voice. I was stunned for a moment by his unexpected apology.

"I've always been sensitive when it comes to you."

Again, it seemed that I had gotten into Leto's head this time. Leto's serious voice proved that.

He must have been thinking about what happened last night. He must have fretted about when to apologise to me, and might even blamed himself for this awkward atmosphere.

And surprisingly, so did I.

"I guess it's because my personality is terrible."

"No! And...It's not terrible."

When I sternly denied it, Leto laughed.

"Whether it's terrible or not, I get nervous when it comes to you. It's always been like that.

When I want to be loved by someone, I get desperate, childish, and shabby. That doesn't mean I'll get loved. If I think about it, I've always failed."

It felt like he was talking about the past. I already know about his past even if he doesn't tell me, but when I think about it, Leto has rarely spoken out about his past himself.

Even if I heard it, it was about family relationships. He refused to say how he was mistreated or hated.

"Who did you want to be loved by?"