Chapter 42

"What do you mean?"

Leto asked.

She said my cousin was coming. It was also cousins, so it wasn't just one person. Seeing all of my relatives was not something that I could take lightly.

Moreover, the letter clearly stated that the town was buzzing with the recent train incident. When the letter of acceptance from the Lexley Academy arrived, I could not forget all the sights that unfolded in the village.

An event took place that I couldn't tell if it was a party or a festival. A lord, who heard the rumour, gave me a lot of gifts, saying that I was a talented child in the village.

"I'll probably get a grand welcome when I go back to the village. Everyone passing by will act like they know me......"

"Isn't that a good thing?"

Leto said innocently.

"Of course, it's good in moderation! But imagine the villagers treating me like a god and offering tributes. All while explaining my life history.

All I've accomplished was being accepted to the academy, but they already think I've secured a high-ranking position!"

The pressure was considerable. But this time, I even met His Majesty the Emperor, so I couldn't even imagine how high their expectations would be for me.

"It's a small town. The villagers know each other well. Rather than being strangers, we're like neighbours, a community or relatives.

They're happy with my accomplishments as if it were their own child's."

Ever since I was young, I had always been outstanding among the village kids and was always the centre of gossip.

Not to mention, there was never a day where my parents won't make a fuss about me and have news come out of the villagers' mouths.

Alright, maybe that's normal by now. But there was a separate problem. It was my cousins.

"They are monsters."

"Monster? Don't tell me your relatives will......"

Leto's expression became serious.

"I have a total of 11 cousins. Unlike me, an only child, my uncle had many children.

Five of them are older than me, and the rest are younger than me."

"But?"

"Everyone is greedy. Very greedy. Our family was originally well-off, but that was destroyed when our ancestors caused problems.

Even so, the family name, title and a little wealth remained, but my grandfather handed over the position of his successor to my smart father."

It was good up to that point.

"Fortunately, my uncle and father got along well, so there hasn't been a problem so far.

But those children were the problem. They were always dissatisfied."

They were people who belittled others and had a bad nature. My father is close to my uncle, so somehow he gets along with my cousins, but they haven't liked him since long ago.

Even if they pretended to be nice on the outside, they would curse and belittle him behind his back.

I noticed them subtly belittling him, swearing at my father, and blatantly aiming for his title.

It was clear that they used a trick this time too. They would deliberately send my parents to the continent instead, and enjoy various things in the pretext of managing the mansion themselves. We were the only aristocrats in the village.

"Is it fine to entrust the affairs of the mansion to people like that?"

"There's nothing much to do in the mansion anyway. My parents must have taken care of all the important work or reports, or they've already taken it with them.

All they have to do is probably clean up and take care of the mansion."

My heart became determined. I would rather spend the rest of my summer vacation alone in this dormitory than go there and deal with my cousins. There was a lot to study anyway.

The library door is open during vacation, so I have no choice but to get a spot in the library.

"Can you stay alone?"

I paused as I tried to answer Leto's question. I would be alone, but it was almost lonely here without Leto and my other friends.

The holiday was long. I don't even know anyone to eat with. I was actually at a loss studying alone.

Since all the professors are going back to their hometowns, I couldn't ask questions if I didn't know something.

As soon as summer vacation arrived, it was full of children leaving the academy's main gate.

In front of it, there was a row of carriages coming to pick up the students.

"Are you all ready?"

It was a carriage that would take us to the train station.

"That's the carriage to hell."

I hesitated to get on, but Leto made the first move.

"It's fine. It happened anyway, and we have to go. If you get even scared, you'll only suffer mentally."

"Leah......"

Leto. I called his name inwardly.

"The carriage we're going to ride is on the left."

Leto was putting his leg on the carriage on the right side. His legs trembled.

"......Damn it! What's wrong with this? It's because it's cold! It's cold!"

"What a joke."