Chapter 27

I vividly remembered seeing fireworks with Leto in the past. Now, I really wanted to see Leto.

Will he be able to come to the ball today? I wanted to dance with him at least once.

After a while, the music, which indicated the climax of the masquerade ball, started playing. It was time to find a partner and dance together.

As soon as the elegant melody appeared, the atmosphere completely changed.

Everyone decided on a partner, held each other's hands, and began to sway their bodies.

"Hi, Bree. Remember me?"

A familiar scent wafted over me along with a deep voice. Alluring red hair fluttered, and deep black eyes captured my gaze.

"!"

It was Leto.

Leto led me to the bottom of the clock tower. The place was quiet and dark, and there were no people around.

Leto was still breathing heavily, trying to catch his breath, and wiped the sweat off his face. I could see how quickly he had run all the way here.

"A-Are you okay?"

When I asked, Leto slipped off his mask and brushed his bangs. I stood by his side and fanned him with my hands, feeling sorry for Leto, who was suffering from the heat.

Leto looked at me like that and laughed as if he was dumbfounded.

"What are you doing?"

"...Well, isn't it hot?"

At my words, Leto took my hand.

"Your hands are cold, can I use them to cool down?"

Ah...I stiffened at Leto's cheeky behaviour. Was he always this passive? Somehow he seemed to be demanding but also shameless.

I wondered if a person's personality could change when they became their original form, but Leto took my hand and breathed slowly for a while.

"Ah, sorry. Have you been waiting for long?"

Leto felt my gaze and immediately removed his hand. It was a little disappointing, but Leto's earlobes were completely red.

In the end, Leto was still the same Leto. Leto had already acted that way and avoided my gaze, probably feeling ashamed.

"Do you......remember me?"

When he dragged me, he seemed to be worried that I wouldn't remember him.

"The last ball......."

"Right, and you're Briseis Pierre."

Leto said my full name, as if he just recalled me. Oh, so he was pretending not to know me.

It was cute to see Leto deliberately avoiding it. I thought I should talk about it to him and move on, but I held it in since I was afraid it would make Leto in trouble.

"So why did you drag me here? Haven't we just met once?"

When I asked, Leto placed his mask back on, feeling embarrassed. Huh? I wanted to see your face more! Leto's eyes widened when I grabbed his mask unconsciously. I didn't stop there. Poking out my head, I took a closer look at his face.

As if I were looking at a statue, I observed his face closely, secretly admiring it.

"Wh, W-What are you doing?"

"Actually, I don't get it."

"What?"

"They say it shines. People say if you look at that one person, they will shine, but do they really? I've been thinking about it. But your face is shining like glitter."

Leto's eyes trembled slightly. He was shaking now. It was the same for me.

As I continued to stare, he seemed to feel a little pressured so he pushed me by my shoulders and hurriedly wore his mask.

"......Didn't you like girls?"

Huh?

"N-No. Leah Arsene is my little sister, and......I'm Rainier, her brother."

He made a hasty excuse. Oh, so he decided to lie. I was willing to fall for it.

"No wonder you guys look alike!"

"Leah...will be coming late today."

I laughed at Leto, who was really bad at lying. He looked at me as I laughed.

A new song began to play. I bent down a little and put my hand out in front of him, just like Senior Jimbo did to me earlier.

"I'm Briseis Pierre. I wish to have this dance with you, Rainier Arsene!"