Chapter 15.2 - Long Way

Start from the beginning

Which meant Airo's forces were completely static in terms of manpower.

Or rather, sapients-power.

He realized this couldn't go on forever. The long-term forecasts Cloud had made confirmed it: the Radiant Knights couldn't support the projected attrition rates, and even modest casualties would spiral hard the probability curve of the set victory conditions towards zero.

In this scenario, only two choices were viable: either guerrilla tactics had to be employed – which was impossible under the circumstances – or operational capacity had to be increased.

That meant dissemination of technological advantages.

Airo stood in the command room gazing at the AR screens above the circular table, yet this time he wasn't alone. Magus Dei, Mentoria, Lylana Darkovitz, and Glawlrhain were also present, summoned to discuss once more the general course of action Airo wanted the Radiant Order to take.

"You see the graphs," he said. "This war is lost within fifty-one days after the first five KIAs. We cannot go on like this. It is time to change things in our favor."

"Do you have something in mind, Commander?" Lylana asked, her towering figure locked in a military at-ease posture.

"I do," Airo said. "We must give the technological specifications for creation of sentient resonance fields to the Consortium and the Union."

"Impossible," Mentoria scoffed. She shifted, her provocative robe exposing even more skin than usual, and her expression became haughty. "The knowledge and means how to create these beings is far too advanced for anyone on this backwater world to understand properly."

"If that is the case, then we need to vastly increase our production rates," Airo replied coldly. "A thousandfold would be preferable, yet even a hundredfold would significantly improve the supply deficit."

"The creation process takes time," Mentoria said with a contemptuous snort. "It cannot be rushed, just as you cannot hurry forward the development of a child."

"It would be faster, if you let me help you," Magus Dei said softly.

"No, it will not," Mentoria snapped at him. "In fact, my ability to provide what is demanded from me will be notably reduced if I were to take time to instruct you in a process that took years to perfect."

"You forget I am as old and as capable as you."

"I have forgotten nothing, my dear. In actuality, your capability makes you underestimate the situation."

Magus narrowed his eyes, yet remained silent.

"Look," Airo said, glaring at Mentoria, "our veronite production is already put to its limit without incapacitating the dragons, and it barely enables the Consortium to fight back.

"Meanwhile, the skyship is quickly becoming a moving target, and if we keep the volume of combat-heavy operations, it is only a matter of time before we lead the enemy to this place." He thumped the command table with a gauntleted finger. "Further, despite our best efforts, intelligence reports indicate Revenant numbers are still increasing. We only have so long before the ratios reach a critical point and everything comes crashing down.

"So, unless you have a better idea, you will do everything in your power to help distribute the only technology which makes this war viable. Do you understand?"

"I agree with Commander Airo," Lylana said. "We can't keep up. The Order is too reduced to act as a military backbone."

"Yes, veronite itself won't be enough," Glawlrhain hrrr–ed. "The other dragons constantly complain to me, and I myself am not at my peak strength. Also," the dragon added, focusing his amber eyes on Mentoria, "I think the time has come to reveal to us why you've barred access to some industrial sections on the lower levels."