81

Chapter 81,"Maid Of Gevaudan"

━━━━━━━━━━━━

My eyes flash open and I roll over onto my side, coughing and sputtering while trying to catch my breath. Feels as if I haven't taken a breath in ages. That thought brings me to my senses and my throat constricts.

I died.

Lifting myself up into a sitting position, I take in my surroundings only to see that I'm nowhere familiar. A colorful little girl's room with dolls scattered in the corner, a fluffy rug across from it with books piled on top. I glance down to see I'm lying on her bed, the comforter pink and slightly torn with a princess blanket draped over the bottom half of the bed.

Something about the set up sparks a feeling in the pit of my stomach. A sense of familiarity I didn't catch before. But even as I try to rack my brain, I can't seem to pinpoint how I know this vague place.

I push myself off the bed to stand up and that's when I look down to analyze my clothing. I have white sneakers, grey sweatpants, and a maroon sweater over a dark shirt. Comfy to say the least.

Stepping out of the room, I'm met with more vaguely familiar house settings. Something I've must've seen at a very early age. Maybe a place my mom brought Scott and I? It's a possibility I won't overrule.

After a while I finally find my way to the front door and I quickly leave the house, hoping to be met with someone, anyone who can cue me in on what's going on. I hope for Scott and Stiles. The thought of seeing either of them makes me leave the home quicker. But, in the back of my mind I fear I already know what's happening. As I hurry across the green lawn and to the road in front of it, I begin to register where I am. A lump forms in my throat as I spin on my heel, almost falling back into the deserted road, to see the small blue house I now know so well. My house. The place I was born into, where I lived with the family that gave up on me. Where the woman who now wants to kill me played as my loving mother. Although it's obvious she never loved me at all.

"Nice place." A voice says from behind me. My eyes widen in disbelief as I take in the voice I've heard many times my sophomore year. Someone I tried my best to help. Turning quickly, my fear skyrockets as I'm met face to face with Erica. She tilts her head with a toothless grin and a breath gets caught in my throat.