75

Chapter 75,"Damnatio Memoriae"

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Sitting at the dining room table, Ms. Martin clutches the handle of her coffee mug tightly, her knuckles turning white. She looks past me in a daze, refusing to meet my eyes as I stand in front of her, almost begging her to look at me. I can't believe she sent Lydia to Eichen House without even really thinking about it. She should have talked to us about it first. Granted, she is Lydia's mother, but sometimes I don't think Ms. Martin understands the world we live in. Maybe because she really doesn't.

"Ms. Martin, I know you want to help Lydia," I start with, trying to remain patient. "I want to help her too, more than anything right now, but you need to get her out of there." With Mr. Stilinski on the road to recovery, I began to focus all of my attention on Lydia. Besides the few trips I've taken to the hospital to drop off some goods for Mr. Stilinski. I've called Eichen House, reminding them of Lydia's legal adult age and how she should be able to speak for herself. When that didn't work, I actually drove to the insane asylum and demanded for them to let me see her. They threatened to call the cops and that was the first time I really didn't mind the idea of going to jail. But of course Parrish happened to be there too and he dragged me out.

I didn't make it easy for him though.

"Katherine, you need to calm down." He told me and I clenched my fists at my side, grinding my teeth together.

"No, what I need to do is get Lydia out of there." The memories of me being locked up in that hell hole resurfaced, causing me internal pain at the idea of Lydia going through that.

"Well, you're not going to be helping anyone if you're in jail for assault." He told me. I took threatening steps towards him, getting in his face which caused him to waver slightly.

"I'm so tired of people acting like I don't know what I'm doing," I said, practically seething. "I'm getting Lydia out of there, and I don't need your's or anyone else's opinion on how to do it." I gave him a shove and he stumbled back in silence as I made my way to my car, fuming in frustration.

That was a couple days ago, but standing here in the Martin's household, I can feel that frustration returning. It feels like I'm the only one trying to help Lydia.

"I can't." Ms. Martin says suddenly and I flinch.

"What do you mean, you can't?" I ask, that anger rippling in my throat.