76

Chapter 76, "Codominance"

━━━━━━━━━━━━

I rummage around in the quiet kitchen, shoving food and bottled water into my duffel bag, stocking up for our trip to get Kira. Stiles works on his Jeep just outside of the house, preparing it for our journey while Scott mentally prepares himself. I can't imagine what he's feeling right now.

The moon is already out which makes us feel rushed enough as it is. We want to get to Kira as soon as possible because it really does feel like time is running out. Things need to get done.

A light knock at the door causes me to flinch and I hesitantly walk through the kitchen, staring hard at the door. When I make it there, I slowly open it and my breath catches when I see Liam. His eyes downcast and hands held tightly together in front of him. I clench my jaw, unsure what do to or say.

"Is it okay if I come in?" He asks quietly, unable to meet my eyes. I bite back a retort, not wanting to rip his head off with my words. I've been trying so hard to not blame him for what happened with Scott, because it really wasn't all his fault. It was Theo's. But it was Liam's anger.

I step aside to give him easy access inside the house and he forces a small smile before passing me and walking into the living room. I close the door behind me and immediately turn towards him. He still won't look at me.

"What are you doing here, Liam?" I ask, trying not to sound bitter.

"I...I came to talk to Scott." He answers, glancing up at me. I cross my arms over my chest.

"He's upstairs." I tell him. Liam shifts in his position, a move to go upstairs, but I stop him.

"I think you should wait for him in here." I say and he immediately returns to his original position, quietly apologizing as he does so.

It's Liam, so the love I have for him is still there. I care about him so much and that'll never change, but I feel less trust towards him as well.

He finally looks up at me and I can see how glossy his eyes are. "Katherine, I'm so sorry about what I did. I can't--I can't forgive myself and I just...I just wish there was something I could do to make it all right again."

My face softens and I feel torn between what I should feel and how I really feel.

I sigh. "We both need to learn better control, Liam," I say lightheartedly and he sniffs a laugh. "One of the hardest things I had to deal with was taking a life because of my mistake and I will live with that for the rest of my life. We both acted on love," when I say that, Liam flinches. "so it wouldn't be fair if I hated you for what you did, but he is my brother so I am upset." Liam nods along sadly, but in understanding. "Learn from your mistakes, Liam. Grow from it."