78

Chapter 78,"Amplification"

━━━━━━━━━━━━

I feel the needle prick my inner elbow for what feels like the tenth time today. The skin there is already bruising over, proving that now I'm a human pin cushion. I stare straight up at the ceiling, following the cracks with my eyes and creating different paths to distract myself from the constant pinching.

The Eichen nurse sitting next to me flicks the blood bag on the pole beside her, keeping the flow going. Irene stands across from us, next to the door, writing stuff down on her notepad.

"What else can you do with your...abilities?" Irene asks while looking over at me. I don't meet her gaze and instead keep my eyes trained above, swallowing a lump in my throat.

"Why does it even matter? You guys are taking my blood because you think that'll get rid of my magic. I'll be dead before you figure that out." I remind them, angered at this stupid tactic.

"Katherine, this is what you wanted, isn't it?" She asks sarcastically while taking a few steps closer. I flash my eyes towards her and take in her dark blue scrubs, wrinkled face, and striped grey hair tied back in a bun. Her eyes hold so much anger that it's hard to believe a younger version of her wore the same ones.

"Not with Lydia still here." I say quietly, looking back up at the ceiling.

Irene sniffs a laugh. "You and Miss. Martin are quite literally the two most powerful beings we have seen. And we've seen many. We couldn't just let her go and risk losing what we've been working so hard for."

Too bad they didn't witness much of the Nogitsune.

A part of me feels like she's exaggerating her point. Eichen House has held many Supernatural creatures. They've had Meredith, a Banshee before Lydia, and May, a powerful Witch before me.

Maybe they can't risk losing what they were able to catch.

Despite how morbid it is, Meredith was smart to get out of here the way she did.

And May...who knows what exactly she's capable of to have made it out.

Irene continues when she notices I won't respond. "These questions I'm asking you are crucial to our work."

"I already told you everything so leave me alone." I grumble. The woman in scrubs leans over me to force herself into my line of sight and she sneers.