80

Chapter 80,"A Credible Threat"

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Stiles sits beside the hospital bed, his hand grasping onto Katherine's, as he watches her desperately. Hoping for her eyes to open, for her chest to rise and fall, for her to move. And when he realizes, for yet another time during his stay, that she won't, he begins to cry. Stiles' heart surges in his chest and he feels his breathing constrict as if something's winding around his throat. He hangs his head low, touching his forehead to Katherine's cold hand while his still remains locked on her.

"Come back, Katherine. Please come back." He sobs, his tears dampening her skin.

As soon as the heart monitor was detached from Katherine, the doctors allowed her family and friends a day to mourn and say their goodbyes. Then they would take her body to the morgue where it would be decided what they would do with her. However, everyone else had a different plan.

"We're moving her into a different room," Melissa says softly upon entering the silent room. Stiles lifts his head up while sniffling back tears. His red eyes remain on Katherine as he nods once. "it should give us enough time to figure out how to bring her back before they realize she's not in the morgue."

Stiles' phone buzzes in his pocket, yet he makes no move to answer. His whole body feels numb as his mind runs haywire. Melissa walks up behind him before gently placing her hand on his shoulder. He flinches.

"She's coming back, Stiles. Katherine's too strong to go this way," she tells him while eyeing her daughter with determination. "but right now she isn't going anywhere except into another room, so in the meantime you need to go help Scott."

The confidence in Melissa's voice gives Stiles enough strength to move. He takes in a breath while standing himself up, still holding onto Katherine's hand, before leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead.

"I'll be back." He tells her quietly. And when he finally finds the strength to let go, he places Katherine's hand gently on the bed before turning towards Melissa. His second mother.

"She's coming back." She states and Stiles forces a small smile before urging himself to leave the room. To help his friends keep track of Parrish.