"That's not what I said."

"You didn't need to. I have been trying, mother. I would have gone sooner if Daisy had found hide or hair of this flock earlier. It's not my fault she didn't find anything until now."

"I wasn't blaming you. Just—go. Now, while you have daylight left."

Adder scowls. He takes one last look at Merlyn.

"Be good, little bird."

He leaves before he can change his mind. He finds Eben outside, stroking Fairy's mane. She's hooked up to large ornate caravan. The outside is red, with green serpents and yellow flowers delicately painted onto the curved walls. Adder admires the craftsmanship, but isn't looking forward to the confined space inside. His long coils will be squished like sausages, no doubt.

"You took awhile." Eben comments.

"I was helping with Merlyn."

"Right. Helping."

"Silence. Let's go."

"Okay, grumpy scales."

Eben climbs aboard Fairy, waiting for Adder to climb inside the caravan before starting down the road. Adder's stomach lurches as they begin to move, their humble abode quickly swallowed by the forest as they get further and further away. Adder tries not to dwell on the irrational feeling that he's abandoning his heart as they do.

The caravan sways gently as it bumbles down the road. The repetitive sound of wheels on stone should be calming, but Adder feels himself growing more and more anxious as they get deeper into the forest. Attempting to ward off negative thoughts, he curls into a snug corner, and closes his eyes. The world narrows down into that small dark space, the only thing keeping him anchored, the sound of Eben's humming.

However, as they traverse the road, Adder inevitably awakens again.

He leans out the front window of the caravan. He watches Eben from behind, studying the way his body sways with the motion of being atop his steed. In the dark night, only lit by the moon, Adder can't  help feel his heart flutter.

"I feel your eyes on me. Got something to declare?" Says Eben.

"You look beautiful."

Eben grins, looking back at Adder. "Aren't you being romantic. Are you sure it's not just the dark tricking your eyes? I've been riding for nearly eight hours."

"I slept that long?"

"I might've put a little spell on you. Just something to help you calm as you slept. Didn't intend to knock you off your scales, though, I'm sorry."

Adder stretches, now recognizing the tingly-soft warmth of magic running through his frame. "Thank you, Eben. I guess you noticed I've been on edge lately."

"Yes. Adder, everything is going to be okay."

"I know, but I can't help but worry."

Eben is quiet for a moment, choosing his words carefully. "You know, sometimes I feel more frightened living like this than I ever did as a bandit."

"You do?"

"In those days, I'd say a prayer to the Great Deceiver every night, asking him to help me trick the world. Make them all think I reveled in the sex, the violence, and the gold. But in the light of the day, I'd be waiting for the blade that was just a little too fast for me to dodge. Waiting to be reunited with my father, I guess."

There's a pregnant pause as Adder absorbs the words. His eyes shift to Fairy's hooves, watching the repetitive motion of her gait. "You don't feel like that any more?"