Epilogue

He's cold

He's cold.

Rain is pouring down around him, dense and thick. Rivulets make tiny muddy rivers as the water pours off the stone wall.

He's confused. He doesn't know why he's here, why he's alone, or why nobody is answering his cries.

All he does know is he's cold, wet, and afraid; but there's something warm behind the wall. So he's looking for a way over.

Finally, he finds it—an opening in the stone and the source of the heat. It's a man, standing at the entrance.

The child cries out to the warmth, begging it to come closer.

However, as the man turns to look, his eyes widen, screaming before becoming still.

The child babbles, confused. Small, clawed, chubby hands search for the warmth—but it's gone.

It's gone, and somehow it's his fault.

More fat tears start pouring down his face as he desperately searches. Something is wrong, he knows. He's not meant to be alone, he doesn't want to be alone...

But the same thing repeats over and over. Someone hears him, they approach him, and then they go cold as they finally see him.

His cries only become more desperate with each person. Two, five, ten, twenty—all of them stop, going quiet as the heat fades from them.

By now, he has given up trying to find someone, just sobbing uncontrollably as he looks for relief from the rain.

Finally, though, he finds shelter. He wanders inside through the massive doors cautiously, sniffling and whimpering.

"Oh, you poor thing..."

The child whips his head around to see a man. He tenses, waiting for the man to go cold, but it never happens.

The imposing figure smiles, eyes closed.

"Are you afraid? Come here, poor creature," the man croons.

The child approaches, hiccuping now as he gets closer. The man squats, opening his arms wide.

"That's it, come here you little beast."

Shyly, the little creature reaches towards one of the hands, gripping the thumb of the man. The man smiles, picking the creature up and cradling it in his arms.

The child whimpers and sighs, relieved as finally, he receives the comfort he craves. He wraps his tail around the man's arm, sucking his thumb as he imprints on the warm person holding him.

The man smiles deviously, finger caressing the wee one's soft cheek. "I thought you'd be a little more vicious—but I guess you did the job," he grins, face leaning closer to the creature in his arms. "You will serve me well, little Adder."