Chickadee's Song

Merlyn climbs onto the stage, joining the flock of children excitedly waiting for the music to start again

Merlyn climbs onto the stage, joining the flock of children excitedly waiting for the music to start again. She looks around with big eyes, a little intimidated by all the sound and color now that she's up here. Suddenly, someone kneels before her.

"Hello," Kora whispers. Her voice carries an unfamiliar tone of maturity, somehow. "It's your first spring, isn't it Merlyn?"

Merlyn nods as she sucks on her claw, barely comprehending. All she knows is her friend is speaking to her softly.

Kora holds out her hand in offering. "I'll help you, my little fledgling. Don't worry."

Merlyn takes the hand and allows herself to be led to a bright red ribbon. She takes it into her claw, observing the color intensely. It's the color of her father's eyes.

Suddenly, a jubilant melody fills the air. Merlyn squeals excitedly as Kora leads her in the dance. They skip around the maypole, the ribbons weaving together as the children laugh. It starts out slow, following the pace of the music, but as the hurdy gurdy speeds up so do the children.

As the children prance around it, they cover more and more of the maypole with the pattern. However, before it can be completed, screams erupt from the crowd. Someone is pushing through the gathered humans and monsters, slithering onto the stage with dark serpentine coils that gleam in the sun.

"Eben, where is she!?"

"There, she's on stage, Adder—"

Adder's heart is in his throat, uncomprehending of Eben's words any longer. She's on stage? With everyone watching her? What if the illusion is dispelled? How would the villagers react to a harpy amongst their young?

"I'm going to get her."

"Adder, wait, she looks okay. Kora is with her."

"I cannot leave her up there alone."

"Adder, just stay calm. We can get her after the dance is over."

Adder starts forward, pushing through the crowd. "I can't risk that!"

"Adder, stop—"

The cacophony of music and cheering swallows up Eben's pleas. Adder, initially attempting to weave through the bustling crowd with patience, finds the fear gripping him tighter and tighter as the song's tempo grows in tempo. He can't see Merlyn, and his mind is conjuring a variety of horrifying images in his mind. What if the other children knock her to the ground and hurt her? What if she gets upset and hurts them? What if she does something not even Eben can reverse?

With a burst of urgent energy, he surges forward, uncaring of the humans and monsters around him. His tail slaps several people away, and they fall to the ground. It takes a moment for the crowd to realize that the serpent is among them—the first startled yelps are buried below the fanfare. But as Adder approaches the stage, fear consumes the villagers. Several people scream out in fear as the glamor is lifted, with some fleeing, some covering their eyes, some staring in shock, and some...reaching for weapons. Adder ignores it all, only intent on finding Merlyn now. As he climbs onto the platform, he hears her cry out in her strange, trilling, voice.