twelve

ACT TWO; SCENE TWELVE —
THE BEGINNING

A MONTH HAD gone by since the flashback with Dolores' parents, as well as the sighting of Aslan. Dolores had decided to tell the Pevensie's about speaking with the lion—they were all more than jealous, as expected. Yet, she wanted to keep her past and the parent part secret for now, something that only she could know, something special for her. Despite the moment ending in a not so special way. But she would tell the others eventually, when she was ready that is. With it being a month after, Dolores was now eighteen, making her a legal adult. Also meaning she would have married Prince Arnold by now, but with not wanting to, they now just had to count down the days until the war, whenever that may be, it could be in hours, you never know.

Dolores was outside practicing her archery for the battle, however, she also used it as an excuse to get away from everyone, to clear her mind. Though, we all know how that turned out last time—rather peculiar, as some word would it. She raised her arrow, the bow set in place, her right eye closing to focus on the target, then she released, watching as the arrow went soaring through the air, until it eventually reached where it was intended to, hitting right on the bullseye.

A small smile grew on her lips as she silently praised herself for doing as well as she did, feeling a success for her accomplishment. She knew deep down she was ready, and prepared for a war. But she kept denying it, as if not wanting to face the reality. Though, the real question which seemed to play continuously on her mind was, were the other Narnian's ready? That's a question that can only be answered in time, or more specifically, at the time of battle.

She sighed, raising her bow and arrow in the air again. Only this time, before she was able to do the release, a familiar voice popped up from behind her, giving the girl quite the fight.

"What are you doing out here alone?" Edmund asked, startling her with his sudden appearance. Whether the scaring part was intentional or not, we'll never know. "Are you practicing?"

Dolores turned around and glared at him as she dropped her weapon to the floor. He took a step forwards in hopes to get closer to the girl. "What does it look like, Edmund?" She groaned, folding one arm over the other. "I was trying to practice until you distracted me!"

"Oh, so I'm a distraction now am I?" He grinned, causing Dolores to roll her eyes at him.

"You know what I meant!" She grumbled.

He chuckled to himself before finally getting close enough to stand beside her, his eyes still focused on hers. "I know, I know. I'm only messing with you, Lo."

"Well it's not funny." Dolores said, but nevertheless she pressed a small kiss to his cheek as if to say she's glad he's here, to which she was. "What are you doing out here anyways? Shouldn't you be with Peter, practicing with your swords?"

He shrugged. "Should be. But do I want to? No."

Dolores raised her eyebrows at him, feeling unimpressed. "Edmund, you know it's not a choice. Do you want to die on that battlefield or something?!"

"Obviously not." He scoffed. "But all of this training is unnecessary. I already know how to handle a sword, I don't have to continuously practice."

She rolled her eyes and turned away from him, grabbing her bow from the ground and lifting it into the air once more and releasing the arrow, watching carefully as it hit its intended target. "Whatever, I'm done with this conversation, I don't want to argue." She groaned. "All I'm trying to do is keep you safe."