two

ACT TWO; SCENE TWO —
THE DUEL

EVENING HAD DRAWN NEARER with it now being five o'clock in the afternoon. In complete honesty, both the Pevensie's and Dolores' day hadn't consisted on much, more so just occupying themselves with such activities like reading, dancing (however that was more of Lucy's idea) and sorting out the decorations and the necessities for the ball they're soon to be hosting. Taking into consideration that said dance was set to take place in only three days time.

For now, both Dolores and Edmund had made their way outside for some much needed fresh air due to Cair Paravel's walls constantly making the pair feel trapped. Sure, it was a big castle, huge in fact. However, when you've been constantly surrounded by nothing but people and creatures for such a long period of time, it makes you feel as if you're at a shortage of air, as if there's no escape. But maybe that was just their excuse to weave their way into having some alone time with each other — though that remains a mystery as to whether it's true or not.

As they walked side by side, their steps fell into a rhythm that spoke volumes, as if to be moving in sync with one another. Every once in a while they would exchange glances and share warm smiles since the air between them was filled with a sense of ease and understanding. They didn't need words to communicate; their silence was a language of its own. It's in these moments that true connection is felt, where words were unnecessary and the beauty of the world around them, as well as the opposites presence was enough.

"So . . . What are we actually planning to do out here?" Dolores asked, gazing up at him for a few seconds before focusing her eyes back down on the ground below her. "Are we just going to continue our walk until we grow bored of it and find we have no place else to go. Or do you have any other plans in mind?"

Edmund grinned at her question, already feeling as if he has a suggestion on the way. He thought to himself for a moment, his brows furrowing before his eyes lit up with a sudden glow. "I have the perfect idea." He replied, Dolores' face turning once again to look back up at his own. "I reckon we should have a duel. I know you've never used a sword before considering you work better with your arrows. However, I feel as though it would be good practice for you, and don't you think it would just be a bit of fun?"

"A duel?" She repeated, a small chuckle falling from her lips afterwards. "Do you not think that you would have the upper hand there, to me personally it seems like a pretty unfair advantage. You've been using a sword for over three years, Ed. And me on the other hand, have never even laid a finger on one."

Edmund snickered and looked down for a little while in order to hide his laughter. "Don't worry, Lo. I'll go easy on you." He winked — almost having that effect to making Dolores' knees fall weak and give way. "I promise."

"We don't even have swords, Edmund. I'm afraid it looks like your little plan is no longer valid." She replied, smirking and feeling awfully proud of herself for managing to wiggle her way out of such a 'fight'. That was until Edmund had somehow pulled two swords out of thin air, or at least that's where Dolores thought they had came from. The sight making her face drop almost instantly and remove the smile that was painted across it as quick as she had put it on. It was safe to say she was more than baffled.  "Where on earth did they come from?"

"I have my ways." He said, handing her one of the two weapons carefully and clutching the other one in his own grasp. She bit down on her bottom lip nervously as she attempted to handle the sword in the most 'reasonable' way possible. "Don't look so worried. I told you I would go easy on you, you do trust me don't you?"