Chapter 35: Collateral Damage

Peter shoved John's journal under his pillow as Tony knocked on the door.

"Come in," Peter said, looking up.

"I wanted to come check on you. Did you have fun on your vacation," Tony asked, sitting on his desk chair.

"My vacation... Yeah. It was great," Peter smiled, "We were thinking about doing it again soon."

"Really," Tony smiled.

"Yeah. If you're okay with it," Peter said.

"I should talk to Stephen..."

"Pete, we were gonna go for a drive if you want to join... Oh, I didn't mean to interrupt," Sam said, noticing Tony in the room.

"No. It's fine," Tony said, standing up, "You two be safe out there."

Tony patted Sam on the arm before walking out.

"We really need more code words for this," Sam said.

Peter agreed and got up. He put John's journal in his backpack.

"Ready," Sam asked, taking the bag from his hand.

"Let's do it," Peter grinned, following him out.

They stopped at a nearby apartment.

"Are you sure this is the one," Peter asked, looking out the window.

"Yep. We're here to see if our theory is correct, then we'll go. Dean and I will take care of the rest this week," Sam said.

"I don't know, guys," Peter said, clearly uncomfortable.

"You okay, kid," Dean asked.

"Someone I know lives here," Peter said softly.

"Your girlfriend," Dean asked.

"My best friend," Peter corrected, "Sam, if what you said is true, is he in danger?"

"I'm sure he'll be fine," Sam said, "Most monsters hunt for revenge, not randomly. I doubt this one is after your friend."

"I hope you're right," Peter whispered.

After a few minutes, Peter started studying the journal while Sam and Dean watched their surroundings. Dean patted Sam's arm, making both him and Peter look up.

"That's the monster," Peter asked in a whisper.

"Yeah. Keep your head down," Dean said, pushing him out of sight.

The guy stopped in front of the building, and black smoke exited his mouth. The black smoke traveled to the vents while the guy dropped.

"Fuck," Sam gritted, getting out with Peter, "Pete, take him to the hospital for me. We'll take it from here."

Peter grabbed the unconscious man and webbed him towards the nearest hospital.

"Why would demons be here," Dean asked.

"No idea," Sam said, rushing into the apartment building.

They checked each room until they heard a scream. Dean kicked in the door and stood in front of a young man. He slowly turned his head to the hunters before his eyes shifted to a deep black.

"If it isn't Dumb and Dumber," the demon sneered.

Sam pulled out a demon blade as Dean raised his gun.

"Is this display supposed to intimidate me," the demon asked, "I guess he forgot to tell you what his friend looked like."

"Ned?"

The demon turned to look at Peter.

"Peter, stay back," Dean snapped.

"Oh, are you worried I'd hurt your little friend," the demon asked, "I'm only here to send a message."

Sam's hand tightened around the demon blade.

"By all means, Sam Winchester, stab me with the knife. But remember, you'll kill the kid as well," the demon taunted, "And I doubt your little friend would be happy about that."

Peter glanced at the demon blade in Sam's hand.

"If we listen to your message, you leave the kid's body unharmed," Dean asked.

"Are you trying to make a demon deal, Dean," the demon asked with a smirk.

"He has nothing to do with this," Dean said.

"You act like I give a damn about this human shell," the demon scoffed, "But since I'm in a good mood, sure. I'll keep the kid alive."

"What's your message," Sam asked.

"It's about your old man. Tell him to back off, or we will take desperate measures. Which I would love to do, by the way," the demon said, chuckling.

"We don't know where he is," Dean said.

"Then I suggest you find him because we are getting irritated with his bullshit," the demon snapped, "Especially the one who made me promise not to kill your ass."

The demon pointed directly at Sam.

"Once the boss loses his temper well," the demon said, "All of your family is free game. Including the uncle who took you little shits in."

"Are you threatening me," Sam asked, scowling at the demon.

"No, I'm not allowed to harm you," the demon teased, "But the others... I could do whatever the fuck I want to them. Like killing this meat suit."

Peter tightened his fists and glared at the demon.

"Oh, I struck a nerve," the demon chuckled, "Well anyway, you have two days to find pops and tell him to fuck off. After two days, he's ours. Have a wonderful night..."

The demon left Ned's body, and he dropped to the ground.

"Ned," Peter said, rushing over to him, "Come on, buddy. Get up."

"Peter," Ned whispered, his eyes unfocused, "I remember..."

He started coughing up blood.

"He needs a doctor," Peter said, lifting him on his shoulders.

"We'll meet you," Dean shouted, rushing out of the apartment.

Peter rushed to the hospital with his best friend in his arms.

"WE NEED A DOCTOR," Peter shouted, getting the nurse's attention.

"He's got a pulse, but it's weak. Get a doctor asap," a charge nurse ordered.

Peter watched them get him on a stretcher. He walked with him as far as he could.

"Sir, you have to stay back," a nurse said, "Your friend is in good hands."

Peter watched Ned get wheeled away until he disappeared behind the doors.