Chapter 36: Forget Me Not

Dean paced in place while trying John's cell phone multiple times.

"Pick up the phone, you son of a bitch," Dean snapped, hanging up the call.

He looked over at Peter, who'd been silent the whole time. Dean walked over to him.

"Peter..."

"I'm fine," Peter said, "Your friend is gonna help him, right?"

"Yeah," Dean said.

Peter gave a short nod.

"We should probably call your dad..."

"I can handle this," Peter said.

"It's getting out of hand, Peter," Dean reasoned, "The demon said it himself. Your dad might become a target as well. We need to tell him."

"We can do it ourselves," Peter snapped, "We don't need help with this!"

"He's right, Pete. The others are in danger now. We need to take safety measures," Sam said, "I know you don't want to, but we're putting everyone at risk if we don't."

Peter swiped his mouth with his hand as the doctor came in.

"For Ned..."

Dean, Sam, and Peter stood up and walked over.

"How is he," Peter asked, "Is he gonna be okay?"

"Ned is stable now. Your friend is a fighter," the doctor smiled.

Peter gave a sigh of relief.

"Can I see him," Peter asked.

"Of course," the doctor said, leading them to his room.

Peter went up to his bedside as Ned looked over.

"Peter," Ned said, smiling at him.

"In the flesh," Peter teased.

"I'm sorry. I don't know why I've been ignoring you. I mean, I know, but I don't. I completely forgot who you are and..."

"It's alright," Peter reassured, "I should be apologizing. Because of me, you got hurt... I thought you were gonna die."

"You're not getting rid of me that easily," Ned teased, making him smile.

"These are my cousins, Sam and Dean," Peter introduced, "They helped save your life."

"The thing that jumped inside of me mentioned Sam," Ned said fearfully, "If you had used your powers, then you could've prevented me from getting hurt..."

"My powers aren't safe," Sam reasoned.

"No offense, man. But get the fuck out," Ned said.

"I'm sorry," Sam whispered, leaving the room.

"He didn't mean it," Peter reasoned.

"I know, I'm just upset at the moment," Ned said, "Peter, you need to speak to MJ. She doesn't remember you either..."

"She is safer without me. You both are," Peter said.

"Yet I'm in here," Ned chuckled, "Fuck, man. We were planning on leaving town soon. We were gonna move away and transfer."

"Do it," Peter said.

"What? No," Ned said, "I just got you back!"

"Ned..."

"Peter, I'm not leaving," Ned said sternly, "You're my best friend. You always have been. You don't have to be alone anymore."

Peter smirked at seeing how stubborn he was in sticking by his side. It was much different than his laid-back attitude. Peter hugged him.

"I'm not alone, and neither are you," Peter said, looking over at Castiel, "No matter what, I need you to remember that I love you, man. I'm so fucking sorry. But I can't let you get hurt again."

"What are you talking about...?"

Ned passed out in his arms as Castiel tapped his neck. Peter finally let his tears fall as he let go of him.

"He'll be safe. They both will," Castiel reassured.

"I know," Peter cried, "I just wish I had more time."

Dean rested his hand on his shoulder.

"We should get going," Dean said softly, "You got it from here, right?"

"Yes. John is hiding in New Orleans," Castiel said, "Be careful."

"You too," Dean said, leading Peter away from Ned.

Sam stuffed his hands into his pockets as he saw Dean and Peter walking up.

"Are you ready," Sam asked.

"Let's drop him off first," Dean said.

"Like hell you are," Peter said.

"Peter, you need to go home," Dean snapped.

"I'm not going anywhere! I thought we were a team," Peter snapped.

"And we still are," Sam reasoned, "Nothing is gonna change. But someone has to protect the others. We trust you with that job."

"Is this your way of tricking me to go home," Peter asked.

"It's my way of saying this is how you help us," Sam said, "Go home. We'll be back when we find our father. We promise."

"Ned didn't mean what he said, y'know," Peter said.

"This isn't the first time I've been blamed for something," Sam smiled, "I doubt it'll be the last."

"Keep your phone close by," Peter said.

"We will," Dean said, watching Peter leave.

Peter walked into the tower and paused at the entrance of the living quarters. His senses went off as he turned his head.

"Dad," Peter said cautiously.

"Peter, this is your uncle, John," Tony gritted, clearly uneasy with his brother's arrival.

"Hi. I have heard so much about you," John smiled, making Peter stiffen.