Teetering

Maury

Shep and I continued our therapy sessions as a couple and as individuals. We discussed a lot during those sessions. After each one, Shep would always question muffins or the garden. Depending on how the session went, decide the answer. The garden was becoming less of an answer with me, though.

I still teetered about having a sit down with Daddy. I needed to do it when I was ready, not when others were. Daddy would call the house and speak to Shep. Shep would look to me for an answer. My head shake was the same with each phone call. I wasn't ready.

I took a basket to the garden to pluck the fruits and vegetables.

Shep helped me. "Your pa called again."

"Yeah. And what did you tell him?" I plucked a tomato and placed it in the basket.

"I said you haven't decided yet." Shep placed a head of cabbage in a basket. "Although you're thick-headed like this cabbage."

I glanced at Shep with a raised brow.

"Hang on." Shep tugged a head of lettuce from its spot. "You might be stubborn like this here, head of lettuce. Damn, it didn't want to budge for nothing."

I gave Shep an annoyed face.

"Maury, I'm turning into a farmer for you. You could at least give an inch and speak to the man."

"There's nothing wrong with being a farmer. It's a respectable occupation."

"Do I look like a farmer to you? I grew up around cattle. Shit, a bull has no issue mounting a heifer out in the open."

"Are you calling me a heifer?"

Shep arched his brow. "Unless you grew udders, doubtful."

I pulled my lips inward as a blush crept up my neck. "I'm just making sure."

"Yeah, I'm sure you were when you enjoyed me mounting like a bull."

"Shepherd!" I whipped a tomato at Shep.

Shep caught it, sunk his teeth into it, and took a bite out of it like an apple. "Hey, this is pretty ripe and juicy."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. It was always something when Shep helped me in the garden.

Once I had my basket full, I carried it into the house to wash the produce. I didn't want to sell anything dirty, proving I was a respectable farmer and cared about my customers.

Shep lugged in a basket of vegetables and set them on the table before noticing me washing the produce. "What are you doing?"

"I'm cleaning the product so I can sell it. What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Maury, no one washes food before selling it from a roadside stand. Most people just put it out there and let others pick what they want."

"But I'm not those people, Shep. I care about my product and want to give the best quality to people." I returned to washing the food.

Why can't people understand how important this is to me?

*****
Shepherd