A new foundation

Shepherd

I took Lucy's advice and applied it to my and Maury's situation. Our prior relationship was dead in the water. Now it was time to build a new foundation and reinforce that sucker—no more cracks so the dirt and water could erode it.

First, Maury needed to eat. Starving himself wouldn't help us. I required him to be healthy and here.

Maury sat at the table with his eyes downcast while I reheated a plate of food for him.

"No more with your head down."

Maury lifted his head and turned his gaze on me.

The microwave dinged, signaling the food was ready. I brought the plate and placed it in front of Maury before returning to my plate.

"Are you going to warm your food?"

"Nope. I don't care if it's cold. I care if yours is. Now eat." I pointed at Maury's plate with my fork before shoving food into my mouth.

"But it's not right, Shep. You can't eat cold food." Maury got up, grabbed my plate, and placed it in the microwave before warming it.

"Maury."

"No, Shep. You deserve to eat warm food." The microwave dinged. Maury set the plate before me before returning to his seat. "You wanted to work on us. It takes two. If I eat warm food, so do you."

My lips twitched into a smile before I tucked into my food. Maury and I needed to work together to build a stronger home. It started with the foundation.

********
Maury

I took a bite of my food and groaned at the taste. Even reheated, the food tasted amazing. The flavors burst in your mouth with each bite. The mashed potatoes had the right consistency with gravy. It was like heaven in your mouth.

Shep cleared his throat. "I take it's good."

"Good? Nope, it's fantastic. I could die a happy man right now."

"Good."

I glanced at Shep to see a smile playing on his lips. My cheeks warmed as I tried to hide my smile.

"I love it when you blush."

My cheeks started burning as my heart fluttered.

"Maury, I'm not good with my words. I tend to stick my boot in my mouth when it comes to you. But it's because you get me tongue-tied."

I lifted my gaze to Shep and chewed my food.

"You had this confidence about you, making me twist up inside. I worry you would see me as a backwood hick."

"Why?" I knitted my brows in confusion.

"You're smart as a whip. I was lucky to graduate high school. It worried me that you would think I was dumb."

"I would never consider you dumb. If you ask questions, you don't know the answers. There's nothing wrong with not understanding things."

"But I want to have a conversation with you."

"It doesn't mean we can have a conversation. I enjoy our talks."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Yes. It doesn't matter what we talk about. It's nice to talk to someone." I shrugged before returning to my food.

"I'm sorry, Maury."

I looked at Shep with furrowed brows.

"I'm sorry for not realizing how much you mean to me. I'm sorry for not considering your feelings. I'm sorry for taking you for granted. I'm so damn sorry for not treating you better. You deserve to have people see you. You're a better man than I will ever be."