Returning to work

Maury

Before heading downstairs, I dressed in a pair of dark dress slacks, a button-up shirt, and dress shoes. Shep had breakfast on the table, waiting for me. My nerves were kicking up something fierce, making my appetite disappear.

"Maury, relax." Shep joined me at the table.

"But what if I faltered? I can't give people another reason to doubt me." I threw my hands up in exasperation.

"You won't. Your papa and pa will be there to help you."

"Maybe this was a mistake." I sighed with my hand on my cheek.

"It's not a mistake. You're overthinking again. Now eat."

I picked up my fork and took small bites. I wanted to hurl from my nerves. I was leaving my little bubble to venture into society. The same one that treated me cruelly. You can't fault me for having doubts.

******
Shepherd

I watched Maury take small bites so he wouldn't toss his cookies. That was understandable since it was the first time he returned to the law office in months. The bait shop doesn't count.

Nope, Maury wouldn't have me with him today since Waylon needed my help. But I reassured Maury that if he called, I would come.

We finished breakfast and headed out. I drove to the ranch to help Waylon bring in the cattle since Beau was at the Fuller ranch. Payton and Dalton brought horses to Hank and Morgan's place since the stable was ready.

Waylon and I saddled up and led the cattle toward the ranch. Then, I had to help Waylon wrangle a bull and cow to the mating pen. If we didn't observe, a bull would mount the wrong damn cow.

We released the bull and cow into the pen and let them continue their business.

"How was Maury this morning?" Waylon asked me.

The bull bellowed while he mounted the cow.

"Nervous as all hell. But I told him to call me if he needed me."

"I would reckon he would be after everything that happened."

"Maureen did him dirty. Maury never did anything to anyone."

"Maureen was a snake. Plain and simple. That is the problem with this town. Too many snakes."

"That's why I'm glad I bought a house for Maury and me outside of town. No one bothers us. It's peaceful."

"You needed peace, Shep. I saw how Pa's comments tore you up inside. It wasn't right."

"It wouldn't have mattered. I would have come to my senses sooner or later. I'm just glad it wasn't later."

Waylon nodded in agreement.

******
Maury

I pulled into the parking lot and sat in the truck, trying to calm my racing heart. Okay, I showed up. Now, I can go back to my bubble. Before I could start the car, someone knocked on my window. I glanced at Daddy before lowering the window. "Oh, hey, Daddy."

"Are you coming in, Maury?"

"I just needed a few moments."

Daddy nodded in understanding. "It's a slow day. It'll give you a chance to catch your breath."

I nodded slowly before gathering my wits and exiting the truck. After locking the door, I followed Daddy into the office, unsure of myself. My palms were sweaty. So I rubbed them on my slacks, trying to calm my nerves.