A little good news today

Maury

Daddy took slow steps toward me before pulling me into a hug. "Congratulations, Maury."

I relaxed in Daddy's arms and returned his hug.

"This good news deserves a slice of pie," Papa announced.

"I'll help you, Larry." Shep walked into the kitchen with Papa to help him with the pie.

Daddy and I pulled away from our embrace.

"I wasn't sure if you would approve of my news," I said.

"I made mistakes with you, Maury. I should have supported you instead of listening to that snake. I should have stuck up for you more. But I won't make the same mistake with you again. If you're happy, I'm happy." Daddy shrugged.

I looked at Daddy and realized he was showing me his actions. I took it.

We walked into the kitchen, sat at the table, and dug into our slice of pie.

******
Shepherd

I spent months reinforcing that foundation until it was sturdy. I built it brick by brick. It was a lot of work. But it was worth it. I nailed those loose floorboards when they popped up and reinforced them with quality nails. I checked the walls and ensured nothing could sway them. I checked the locks on the doors and windows and locked those bitches faster so nothing could get inside. We just needed to add the roof to finish the house.

We would apply the best shingles so a storm didn't rip it off. That was a guarantee.

"Did you pick a date yet?" Larry asked.

"Not yet. But when we do, we'll let everyone know," Maury said.

"Damn straight," I said.

Larry smiled and nodded.

"If you need any help, I can help you," Lawson told Maury.

Maury nodded in response.

It was a start with Maury and his pa.

*******
Maury

I was enjoying the pie when Papa mentioned the whole mess with Will.

"Maury, the courts set a date for the trial of Billy Gilroy," Papa said.

My appetite plummeted when Papa told me that. I set my fork down and pushed my plate away with my half-eaten pie on it.

"You'll need to testify about that night. I'm sorry."

I sat at the table and stared at the tablecloth. I spent months in the hospital and therapy to get better. Will's trial killed all my progress.

"Maury, we'll be with you during your testimony," Daddy said.

"It doesn't matter. It's another reminder of how I blew up my life in one night." I scrapped my chair against the floorboards and stood up. I left the house and started walking.

Shep should have left me in that parking lot. He wouldn't need to relive that terrible evening. Maybe everyone would have been better if they left me in that parking lot.

*******
Shepherd

I got up, ran out of the house, and chased after Maury. I found him halfway down the road and stopped him.

"Just let me go, Shep. You're better off without me." Maury sounded so defeated.

"Now, you know that's not going to happen. I put a ring on your finger to keep you forever."