The past

Maury

I sat in my therapist's office and adjusted my glasses since they slid them down the bridge of my nose. My thoughts wandered to the past.

Maury - age 13

I ensured my room was spotless and my clothes had no creases. I wanted to look nice for our company. I checked my hair and patted it down in place. After checking my reflection, I left the bedroom and entered the living room to find our company had arrived.

The Chapwells were friends of my folks. Their son, Bobby, was my age and a handsome devil. I could feel the blush creep up my neck and push it back down.

"Maury, say hello to the Chapwells," Daddy said.

I stepped forward and opened my mouth to speak.

"Oh, that's not necessary. Maury forgets manners like today." Maureen waved me off with a dismissive hand. "Forgive our son. He forgets himself."

I closed my mouth and lowered my gaze.

"Shall we eat?" Mrs. Chapwell asked.

"Why sure," Maureen said with a forced smile.

Everyone walked into the dining room, and Maureen stopped beside me. "Don't you dare embarrass me with your piglet ways. You understand me?"

"Yes, ma'am," I whispered.

"You can sit at the counter." Maureen walked away.

I followed with my head down. When I reached the kitchen, Maureen was whispering in Daddy's ear.

"Maury," Daddy said.

I stopped and looked at Daddy. "Yes, sir?"

"Maureen said you called her a piglet. Is that true?"

Maureen acted hurt while I furrowed my brows.

Daddy grew impatient and slammed his fist on the table, startling our company. "Answer me."

I averted my gaze to the floor and played with my fingers. "Yes, sir."

"You can wait to eat until we finished for disrespecting your mother."

"Yes, sir."

"Go to your room until I call you down."

"Yes, sir." As my stomach rumbled, I padded out of the kitchen and climbed the steps. I would wait until later to grab some scraps.

"Maury?" The doctor asked.

I sat up straight. "Huh?"

"You seem lost in a memory. Do you want to discuss it?"

"Oh, it's not necessary. It's only an unpleasant memory." I shook my head.

"Maury, therapy works if you talk, even if the memory is unpleasant."

I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat. "Alright." I told the doctor about dinner with the Chapwells.

"Did your father ever come and get you for dinner?"

I shook my head. "No, ma'am. Maureen sent the Chapwells home with extra food, leaving none left."

"What did you do?"

"I waited until they were asleep and snuck scraps from the fridge. I couldn't let them catch me. So, I only took a handful and took small nibbles."

"How often did your family make you wait to eat?"