A difficult conversation

Trigger warning: The following chapter will contain mentions of abuse and suicidal thoughts. I recommend reader discretion.

Maury

I prepared three glasses of iced tea before settling at the kitchen table with Shep and Beau. I needed to explain things that would clarify any confusion or misunderstanding. Even though I alluded to it, I negated a piece of information with Waylon.

Shep and Beau sat at the table and waited for me to speak.

I took deep breaths, trying to organize my thoughts before speaking. I needed to tell them everything without any interruption.

"Anytime you're ready, Maury," Shep coaxed.

I gave Shep a curt nod. "You all know how my stepmother treated me, right?"

"Yeah, we do," Beau said, with Shep nodding in agreement.

"What you don't know, and I never told anyone except my therapist, was I thought I would be better off if I left."

Their brows furrowed into more confusion.

"If I died."

Their brows shot up in shock before furrowing.

"I made a plan with a list of every step I would take. I wrote letters to Granny, Papa, and Daddy to tell them I didn't hate them. I planned to deliver them while they were working. Once I left their letter to find, I would change into a nice, clean outfit for when they found me. It would save them time when picking out funeral attire. Then I would use a rope in the woods."

"Maury, stop," Shep said, squeezing his eyes shut while Beau covered his mouth and blinked away tears.

"Shep, you need to hear the full story to understand why I met with Waylon today."

Beau rubbed his face before dropping his hands to the table. Shep opened his eyes and nodded to continue.

"I continued on my day with a smile. I wanted people to remember my smile. I even cleaned out my locker so no one would have to do it. I couldn't leave them a mess. I decided I wouldn't burden anyone again. Everyone could find peace without my presence."

Beau wiped his eyes as Shep's eyes became red-rimmed with unshed tears.

"I walked toward the school's exit before hearing movement in an empty classroom. I peeked into the classroom to find Waylon rummaging through a first aid kid. So, I checked on him. He refused me until I reassured him that I could help him. He finally agreed to let me help him and removed his shirt. The welts shocked me, but I didn't say anything. Waylon tried not to cry while I cleaned the wounds so they didn't get infected. But I heard sniffling before he told me what happened. It was the first time I became angry. Waylon didn't deserve for someone to hurt him."

Shep cleared his throat. "How old were you?"

"Twelve."

Shep closed his eyes for a moment before opening them. "Waylon was the same age. I wondered why he winced when I slapped his back while bringing in the cattle. He wouldn't tell me."

"After I helped Waylon, I didn't leave school that day but stayed with him."

Shep and Beau stared at me with their mouths cracked.

"Waylon is the reason I'm sitting here with you."

"That makes sense why Waylon defended you and told me to talk to you after what happened." Shep scrubbed his face in frustration.

"I didn't stay with Waylon to earn favors. But I understood how it felt to be hurt and alone. After that day, people at school left me alone. I met with Waylon today to thank him. I never got a chance to years ago."