Past grievances

Maury

After my chat with Reverend Harper, I followed his advice. I stopped apologizing because I thought I offended someone. How can you offend someone if you did nothing wrong?

I also had to stop acting kind toward people when they returned it with disdain. I would be polite because that's good manners. But I wouldn't go out of my way for people like I used to do.

Why? It's not like they gave two iotas about me. These were the same people who listened to Maureen tell lies about me.

I also refused discounts from people. I didn't need their pity. They assured me it wasn't. But I knew better. I learned the hard way with people.

I sat on the bed, lingering so I didn't have to leave the house.

"Maury, you can't stay locked in here all day," Shep said from the doorway.

"Why not? It's a nice room." I picked at the floral bedspread.

"We're having dinner with your grandfather and Pa."

"I'm sure they would understand if we canceled."

"Maury." Shep shook his head.

I blew air past my lips, stood, and shuffled to the doorway. I looked at Shep with pleading eyes for us to cancel. He doesn't understand how dinner was with my daddy and stepmother.

"Maury, it's just your pa and grandfather. Maureen won't be there."

"It doesn't mean Daddy won't say something to me."

"You might be surprised."

"Doubtful." I shuffled past Shep and stomped down the steps.

Shep might think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but he didn't grow up in my house. My folks kicked me out at thirteen when they found out I was gay. That stung.

*****
Shepherd

Maury sat in the passenger seat and pouted on our way to Larry's house. Larry had asked about having dinner one night. I kept putting it off until Maury was ready. Like it or not, Maury needed to have dinner with the man since he sat with him in the hospital room every day.

We arrived at Larry's house and got out. The screen door swung open, and Larry ran down the steps toward Maury and hugged him. Lawson descended the steps slowly, with his hands in his front pockets and not saying a word. He lingered near the house, watching Larry and Maury.

"You look fantastic, Maury. Let me check you out. Turn around." Larry spun Maury around. "You got some meat on your bones. That's good. I always said you needed to eat more." Larry raised his finger and tapped Maury's nose.

"Papa! I'm not a child," Maury groaned.

"No, you're not. But I worry about you. I have that right since I took care of you."

Lawson and I winced slightly at Larry's remark. He wasn't wrong. He did take care of Maury when others didn't, including me.

Larry wrapped his arm around Maury's shoulder and led him toward the house. "We got a hearty meal waiting for us. I made your granny's beef stew and homemade rolls. Just like you like them."

Larry and Maury reached Lawson and stopped. Lawson looked at Maury with mixed emotions, not knowing what to say.

"Are you going to say hi to your boy?" Larry asked Lawson.

"Hi, Maury," Lawson said softly.

"Hey, Daddy," Maury said with a clipped tone.

"You're looking well."