Chapter 45: Power

The dune buggy tore onto the street, its engine roaring as it ploughed through the urban landscape. Octavia, gripping her machine gun tightly, swivelling her gaze with the gun, scanning the rooftops for any signs of movement or threat.

Aliza pulled into an alley as she said, "It's right around the corner."

Octavia nodded, pulling the machine gun into her shoulder.

Aliza turned the engine off as they rolled forward. The front emerged as an Apache Attack Helicopter flew overhead. Aliza and Octavia immediately ducked in the seats as they hid from sight. The helicopter stopped in front of them, but with its back to the buggy.

Octavia, her focus keen and intent, aimed down the sights of her weapon, aiming for the rear blades with precision and caution. Aliza put her hand on the barrel, showing for her to not fire. Instead, she jumped over the side, pulling a case from the back of the buggy. Unveiling its contents to reveal a rocket launcher with an armed warhead. She kept it on her shoulder, then she climbed back in.

She aimed, standing on the seat.

Pulling the trigger, the helicopter exploded into flames with a deafening roar, hurtling down in a fiery spiral before crashing to the ground below. Meanwhile, the dune buggy surged forward onto the streets, its engine roaring as it navigated the urban terrain. Octavia, scanning the area ahead, spotted a line of operators ready to breach the building. Reacting, she unleashed a torrent of bullets from her machine gun, the demon-killing rounds filling the air with lethal precision.

The operators splattered over the walls as they dropped their rifles. A van barrelled around the corner, stopping in front of them as Octavia realigned.

Aliza put her hand on the sight. "It's IMP."

Aliza climbed out, walking over to the van as the door opened.

Loona climbed out. Aliza hugged her. "I'm sorry. I let him get this far."

Loona exclaimed in shock, "What?"

Aliza stepped back. "The person who killed Blitz isn't in this building. It was one of Lewis's cronies."

Loona's look went dark. "How do you know?"

Aliza gulped, "Lewis ordered the strike to anger..." Suddenly an explosion filled the background as a black outline loomed above them all, "Him."

Moxxie stepped back. "Is that Stolas?" The demon bird's ear shattering scream pierced the sky as all except Aliza grabbed their ears.

Aliza nodded. "His most powerful form, born through anger."

Loona clenched her fist looking down, "I-it was you." She paused. "It's always been you."

Aliza turned back as Loona punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground, "You've used us again and again, ready to throw us out at any time." Aliza took the blows, not resisting. Loona broke down crying as she said, "I thought you were my friend. I thought I could trust you." Aliza kept on taking the blows. Eventually, Loona's strikes slowed and then ceased altogether as she broke down completely. With a desperate plea, she screamed at Aliza, "SAY SOMETHING!?"

Aliza looked to the side. "I have no excuses. He told me he would kill Blitz. I didn't think he would go through with it... he tricked me. I was too slow to react. And that is my fault."

Octavia stood back, covering her mouth. Aliza stood up, she dusted herself off. She didn't have too many marks on her, and Loona had only drawn blood once in the barrage.

She pulled a rifle from the buggy, walking towards the door.

Loona looked down. "Where are you going?"

Aliza nodded. "To stop Stolas from losing himself." She walked through the gateway as she disappeared into the dark.

***

Aliza entered the building as she kicked in another door. With a slam, it hit the wall before falling off its rusty hinges. Gunning down two imps, she moved room to room. They were all relatively undecorated, looked like an old castle rather than a modern compound. Then she entered what almost seemed to be a throne room. There sat a skeleton. It looked to be almost stone. As she approached, she noticed that the bone shape was off. It was odd, almost like the bone had extended in positions. Melted, dripped and frozen again. She touched it as it snapped. It was hard. If she was going to snap it, she knew it would take some effort.

Whatever this creature was before, its bones were now pure stone. She shrugged it off, entering another door. As she looked out the roof window, she could see the thick cloud of smoke towering above. She was close.

Walking through the compound, it was quiet. But then she noticed it a figure. Turning her rifle, she took aim at the tiny figure.

As she looked through the sight, she noticed the figure was still.

Looking closer, the figure was stone like the one in the throne-room. But this one was different. Its skill was fully intact. As she approached, she moved her rifle to her side. "Petrification."

She pulled out a flashlight. Putting in on the face looked like it had some type of liquid streaming from the eyes. "Sevens?"

Sevens appeared, "I'm not sure what it is, but I can tell you that's neither blood nor tears."

Aliza sighed, "Great. Can you run a scan on Stolas, see if any of his abilities could cause this?"

Aliza turned around, seeing a 12 ft demon towering over her. Her eyes widened as he grabbed her by the throat. "Enemy." He said. His voice was coarse. But still recognisable. It seemed almost distorted, glitchy like it wasn't fully there. He pulled her closer as she recognised Stolas immediately.

Aliza grabbed onto his arms, kicking him in the face. His grip grew loose. Just enough for her to pry herself loose while losing a bit of fabric from her shirt, revealing her under armour.

Aliza landed as Stolas pursued. Attempting to slash her with his talons, Stolas's killing intent was skyrocketing.

Aliza dodged. Suddenly, Stolas's eyes glowed red as Aliza's eyes widened. But nothing happened. She looked at her hands as Sevens appeared behind her. "I'll counter the petrification. Beat him." She said.

Aliza darted forward, dodging under Stolas's slash as she punched him twice on his side. Stolas didn't flinch. He looked down at her as he went to swipe her off. Aliza propelled herself backwards as Stolas was on her immediately. Aliza was on the back foot again. Dodging and looking for an opening. Her form was flawless, but Stolas's power was increasing hundreds of times a second. Aliza called out, not in panic, "Sevens!"

Sevens replied, her voice worried, "Working on it." She paused, "C'mon c'mon."

The skill gap was closing fast. Every strike of Stolas's talons got closer and closer to touching her fur.

Aliza called out, "Find me an opening!"

"Now! Kick him in the face!" Sevens ordered.

Aliza didn't attempt to dodge. Stolas's strike passed millimetres from her face. Her boot struck Stolas in the face, sending him flying. He lay on the ground as Aliza walked over.

Sevens appeared next to her. "Good work, his powers going back to normal levels again."

Aliza sat down, laughing. "Now that was a rush."

Sevens raised an eyebrow, "You non-ais are so strange."