Chapter 14: Harvest

Lewis sat in the attic cleaning his lever action. The family had given him this place to stay as they didn't have space downstairs. He did the polite thing and was extremely grateful, even telling them it was more than he deserved, he knew with this spot he could watch the whole farm and the Harvest Moon Festival which would make his life a lot easier when the day came.

Putting the rifle back together he checked that it worked.

Lewis pulled a small radio from his bag, "Apate, this is Dolus, I've secured a FOB. Target still hasn't arrived, though."

As he waited for a response, he noticed a van appear over the ridge, it rumbled through the old landscape as Lewis focused on it placing the radio down, and then he saw three letters pasted on the side, 'I M P'. He looked closely, as he aimed with an old rifle scope, "Blitz?"

Placing the gas mask in a small container he walked downstairs, he left his rifle as he descended the ladder.

Hearing Joe shout, he exited onto the porch, "Yeeeee-hawwww! How's my deadly little pumpkin spice doing?"

Millie hugged him, "I'm good, Pa! Thanks for lettin' us stay here for the harvest jamboree."

Lewis had thought maybe Millie was that daughter he was talking about. Lewis lent on the railing, only half listening to the conversation. Loona looked at him. Seeing straight through his disguise, she whispered something no one heard, before going back to her phone.

"Anyway, y'all remember my husband Moxxie?" Millie pushed Moxxie forward.

Joe looked him up and down, "Hmph."

Lewis sighed, noting that Moxxies was not that liked here. The conversation continued with small talk. Eventually, the topic came to Blitzo.

Joe laughed, "That we did! So... Blitz, is it? Heh heh. That's a fine name."

Joe's wife, Lin nodded, "It reminds me of war."

Lewis opened his revolver up muttering, "Probably comes from the German, meaning lightning."

Joe flexed, "Nothing like a little war to make a strong man!"

Blitzo agreed, "I like you people."

Before Moxxie butted in, "Y'know... more battles were won by technological advances in warfare. I've researched the history of weaponry extensively, and it's inspiring how... for example, the progression of guns utilising angelic technology has changed the landscape of Hell's combative..."

Joe crossed his arms, giving him a stern look, before Moxxie gulped, "I-I..."

Lewis stood up, closing his revolver, "He's not wrong."

Joe turned around, raising an eyebrow, and then Millie spoke, "Who's that?"

Joe spoke, "A gunslinger, and a damn good one at that. But also a tough son of a bitch, Ain't that right, Lewis?"

Lewis nodded, "You sell me too much, Joe."

He jumped down from the porch, "You see modern warfare takes a lot more than medieval warfare. Unmanned weapons, WMDs, armoured warfare. Even aerial warfare is fought out of visual range."

Joe looked at him, then to Moxxie, "You spent time on Earth?"

Lewis nodded, "Bit of a wanderer."

Millie leaned over to Moxxie, "Does he look familiar?"

Blitzo rubbed his chin, "Have we met before?"

Lewis cracked a small smile showing Blitzo, exactly what he need. But not giving him enough info not to break his cover, "Possibly, you seem like you're from pride, I spent two years there a bit back."