Chapter 31: Love and War

Aliza ran along the trench line. Blitzo and Lewis followed behind. But she was quickly outpacing them. She felt as if her back was slightly starting to ache. Or more specifically her left shoulder. But she didn't stop.

Then she heard a voice, "HA! DO YOU THINK I'M THAT STUPID?" Stella was laughing, "I'm going to take everything from you... starting with her."

Aliza reacted on nothing but instinct. Aliza launched herself through the air, descending rapidly before landing gracefully behind Stella. With a swift flick of her wrist, Aliza expertly sliced the sidearm in half. The pistol's hammer sprang up, triggering an explosion in Stella's hand. She cried out in pain as Aliza instinctively covered Octavia, "Everything's gonna be alright..."

Octavia looked up, "Aliza?!"

Aliza grinned, "One and only."

Several gunmen turned to her.

She hovered her hand over her sidearm. She knew she couldn't take them all AND protect both Stolas and Octavia. Observing their eyes, she noted an unusual calmness. These individuals didn't resemble typical mercenaries; their composure set them apart. They almost had a similar look Lewis did while in combat; reserved yet not scared by any account.

Then on cue, from the darkness, the sound of crunching wood echoed, "A SQUADRON!"

Immediately, the mercenaries brought their weapons to their sides. Aliza looked around as a human Lewis entered the formation; he had his hands behind his back. The mercenaries' eyes wide. Some were pale like they'd seen a ghost.

Lewis grinned, "A SQUADRON. Stand Easy!" They all moved as Aliza looked in awe.

Octavia was the first to speak, "Uh... what just happened?"

Lewis turned his gaze to Stella and the agents, remarking, "You should really do more in-depth background checks."

One of the agents spoke, "You're dead."

Lewis grinned, "That I am." He transformed back into his demon form as their faces grew pale.

The agent fell backwards, "Dolus..."

Lewis grinned, "Oh, what a discovery!" clasping his hands.

Aliza looked between them, but she still didn't interrupt. She watched one of the mercenaries run up to Lewis, "Sir, it's good to see you again."

Lewis nodded, pulling his hip flask, "It's good to see you too, Bailey. How's everyone been?"

The mercenary ran him down, "Good sir, three retired. We've brought in three more," the mercenary rubbed his head, "We were hearing rumours you'd been getting to work on Ops Helltaker and Hellholder... but why are you here?"

Lewis took a swig of his flask, "DHORKS are about to jeopardise my plans."

The merc leader's look grew grim. Signalling with two fingers as his troops turned their rifles onto the agents, "Give the order, Sir."

Lewis shook his head, "Negative, have your men stand down, let's have some fun."

As they lowered their rifles on Lewis's orders, one looked to the tree line, "Sniper, 200 metres."

Lewis noticed the sniper staring at Blitzo, posted up between a set of snowy trees "Friendly."

The soldier tapped his pad as he focused back. Octavia brought Stolas over to Lewis, "Who are these people?"

Lewis grinned, "Soldiers I trained with, they're what most people call a black operations unit. Sent into high-risk, high-reward operations. The government's troops with plausible deniability should shit go tits up," He looked at Aliza, "I was never kicked out of the British Army. I was sent to a training facility in Scotland. I would use my abilities to fight better, fight harder. They wanted me as a trainer, by the end of my time there. I said no and was shipped off to Ukraine in 2014 with the rest of this unit."