Chapter 26: Rattlesnake Bandit

The posse ambled into the ranch, a jingle of spurs accompanied the clip-clop of their horses' hooves. Lewis, his lever action cradled on his thigh, swayed gently with the horse's trot.

As they reached the desolate ranch, they slowed to a halt. The dismount was synchronised as the lawmen lowered themselves from their saddles, boots meeting the ground with a muffled thud.

With Capone leading, they approached the ranch house cautiously. Capone, hands raised in a gesture of peace, called out, "Mr. and Mrs. Brown, I'm Sheriff Capone, and I'm here with four of my deputies and Sheriff Lewis." The words hung in the air, as the posse awaited a response from within the lone house.

The door groaned, protesting its age as it swung open, revealing a sliver of darkness within. Lewis's keen eyes caught a glimpse of a watchful eye peering through the crack, he noticed the eye staring at their weapons. Before he could react, the door retreated, briefly halting. Then yielding to a soft unlocking.

In the doorway stood a small imp. Capone, mindful of the child's apprehension, took a knee, attempting to put the young one at ease. "Where's your parents, kid?" he inquired gently.

The child, a tremor in their voice, looked down. "Y-you can take anything you want, just don't hurt me."

Capone's eyes widened, "Kid, we are here to help. We don't want anything from you, nor your parents," his tone soft.

The child, looking up with teary eyes, almost like Capone said something that upset him.

Lewis, too, approached with a measured caution, his gaze scanning the surroundings. "Could we talk about this inside?" he suggested, a hint of unease colouring his voice. Lewis couldn't shake the sense that something was amiss.

His hand lingered above the grip of his revolver, fingers tracing the pristine grooves as he keenly surveyed the landscape.

Capone acknowledged Lewis with a solemn nod, and in that ominous stillness, a sudden bang echoed in the distance.

The whizzing of a bullet narrowly missed Lewis's face, and a sharp thud followed. At that moment, the child slumped over. Reacting swiftly, Lewis, with the precision of a practised hand, drew his revolver and brought it to eye level, aiming above the distant hill he fired a single shot. He saw the tracer fly up into the sky before falling. A few seconds later, something slid with momentum before coming to a halt against a tree.

The deputies hid from sight as Capone cradled the injured child and pleaded, "No, no, no. Don't die, stay with me. Stay with me." His desperate appeals echoed through the tense air as Lewis sprinted over, his boots thudding against the ground.

With a practised move, Lewis swiftly pulled out his radio, urgency lacing his voice, "I need medevac stat. Sniper gunshot, Imp, child, out."

A portal crackled into existence, and through it emerged two modern medics flanked by a truck, their presence a stark contrast against the backdrop of the rustic ranch.

With precision, the medics gently lifted the injured body onto the stretcher. The stretcher found its place within the confines of the waiting truck, as the doors slammed shut.

The deputies, still in a state of shock, observed with a mixture of awe and disbelief as the medics seamlessly navigated their tasks, administering first aid with a fluidity that bordered on choreography, all while the truck continued its subtle hum.

Another carriage approached, pulled by horses this time. As it came to a stop, an imposing hellhound, her sleek black hair peeking from beneath a light brown hat, sat with quiet authority. Clutched in her lap was a rifle, she seemed to be gripping it so hard that her veins were pulsating.