Chapter 28: Prisoners.

Aliza sank into one of the oversized bean bag chairs opposite Octavia, her fingers gently massaging her temples. She sighed, "He's not actually going to kill him... is he?" Her face showed her like a wide-open book, which Octavia immediately picked up on.

Octavia glanced up from her phone, "Huh?"

Shaking her head, Aliza stood up, "Don't worry." She gestured toward the door, "What do you say we do something?"

Octavia raised an eyebrow, "What about your protocols?"

Aliza nonchalantly shrugged, "Screw protocol. I'll just use Lewis's break protocol code. The longer we sit here, the more worried we're going to get." She stretched out.

Abruptly, the door swung open, and Aliza's head snapped to look at it. A bloodied Byrne stepped through, wiping the crimson liquid from his forehead. "Ms. Octavia... Aliza," he nodded at both of them.

Octavia looked to Aliza, "Who's that?" she glanced back, "He looks human?"

Aliza nodded, "That is Byrne. He was at my party as well. Did you two not talk?"

Byrne shook his head, "I had to leave early. Down under wanted some help in defence testing."

Octavia exchanged a glance, "Down under? That's like a nickname for hell?"

Byrne grinned, "Close... It's Australia. But with some of the animals there, it's pretty similar."

Aliza's eyebrows drooped, "So that's why you were cramming cake down your throat?"

Byrne shrugged, "I knew you were gonna eat it all if I didn't." He clasped his hands, "Anyway, that's beside the point. We just got back from a raid. Lewis wants Ms. Octavia to see a target we just brought in."

Aliza raised an eyebrow, "I heard over comms that Echo-2 was out... who did you get?"

Byrne shook his head, "Lewis wants it to be a surprise." He spun on his heel as he walked away from the room. After he took a few steps he turned around while walking, "Hurry it then... I don't have all day." Indicating for Octavia to follow.

Both Aliza and Octavia started to follow as they walked down the corridor. Navigating through the facility, they passed several security stations before reaching the entrance to the prison complex. Two guards were stationed there. Bryne and Octavia walked through, but a bayonet appeared in front of Aliza's face, stopping her, "Dolus's orders. Only Ares and 1-7-4... I'm sorry, Ma'am."

Octavia looked at Aliza. Aliza gave a nod, "Go, I'll see you when you come out."

The two continued as Bryne walked down the corridor. He pulled his pad as he turned corner after corner looking like he was completely focused on the screen. Octavia trailed slightly behind him, "So... gonna tell me?"

Byrne turned his head slightly, still keeping his eyes on the pad, "Wait and see."

He tapped his pad as a group of Sinners saluted him. He saluted back half-heartedly.

Octavia looked over Byrne's shoulder, "What are you looking at?"

Byrne sighed, "Reports on Dhorks and Crimson, plenty of images of confirmed KIAs." He paused, smiling, "Wanna see?" He offered her the pad as it showed a perfectly aligned row of bodies. Tallest on the left, shortest on the right.

She nodded, "How did they die, 556 or 762?"

Byrne, zoomed in, half not expecting that answer, "This one looks to have taken a 762 to the eye, this one a .50 Bmg to the stomach. These four look to have taken several 556." He looked at the final one, "Is that a fuckin—" he cut himself off, "Who the fuck called fix bayonets?" He sighed, "I really hope..." he changed to a different slide, "Oh, for fucks sake, I'm gonna have to chew this arsehole out again." He waved the pad, clipping it to his waist.