Chapter 36: Right and Wrong

Exiting the meeting room in eerie silence, Aliza found Sevens materialising by her side, her expression one of simmering rage. "You're not seriously considering his plan, are you?" Sevens' voice betrayed a mix of disbelief and frustration. Aliza, deep in thought, absentmindedly scratched her chin.

A shadow seemed to fall over Aliza's face as her hand moved from her chin to the back of her neck, where she began rubbing it thoughtfully. "If Lewis deems it the only viable option... then it might be the only way to secure victory."

With those words, Aliza stepped into the waiting armoured car, leaving Sevens staring at her in disbelief. "Certain lines should never be crossed, and THAT," Sevens clenched her fist, "is nothing short of a genocide."

Aliza thought, "It's not genocide... they'll all still have a life afterwards."

Sevens raised an eyebrow, "Genocide: the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group." Her voice rose in volume as Aliza started the car, "YOU ARE PROPOSING TO WIPE OUT ALL HUMANS."

Unable to meet Sevens' gaze, Aliza posed a rhetorical question, "Let me ask you this question, does this seem like a nice place to live? Would you be willing to live your whole life in hell, being exploited constantly by the people around you?" Sevens looked down as Aliza continued, "No? That's why we want to try and change something, we want this world to be a second chance. A place to do good, rather than a prison." She glanced to the side.

Sevens gritted her teeth, "Then make it better without killing everyone."

Aliza looked forward, "I knew you wouldn't understand."

***

The car glided down the highway, enveloped in silence. Sevens, seated beside Aliza, activated several transparent panels, their grey outlines barely visible, and began to engage in focused work. The soft hum of the vehicle's engine accompanied the rhythmic tap of Sevens' fingers on the holographic interfaces.

Aliza noticed and looked at her, "What are you doing?"

Sevens nodded, "Calculating. I may only be a general-purpose AI, but I can still work my way around a simple insurgency, taking into account Lewis's assets I can't work out how he plans to get rid of Lucifer. Lucifers are always too proud to give up their position, even over their family... and he for sure can't kill him."

Aliza raised an eyebrow, "What's the easiest way to kill an Angel?"

Sevens nodded, "Angel Weapons... our angel weapons, not yours. But... they are all pretty heavy so they would have to be stationary guns," She looked at the console as she paused, "Wait... there's missing data." Sevens flicked back and forth, "Traces... traces. Find the source. DU Rifle." Her face dropped.

Aliza looked at her, "DU?"

Sevens touched her face, "It's a warning designation for a type of material from a Dead Universe. Very rare. Extremely powerful. Will kill anything up to tier 2 Gods."

Aliza raised an eyebrow, "Tier?"

Sevens shook her head, "Don't worry, pretend I didn't say that. It's really powerful, if you get hit by it you die... there is no if, no buts, no maybes." She paused, "But the ammunition is a rare resource. I'd predict at most he has two rounds at most."

Aliza shook her head, "Then he would've planned for an assassination." She shook her head, "We should prepare for him having at least thirty rounds."

Sevens looked from the panel before nodding, "I see, it's interesting you bring up assassination. That's the most successful in what Lewis wants to achieve." She paused, "Casualties will only be in the hundreds in the aftermath."