Chapter 48 Plea of Mitigation

Zoe Lawson P.O.V

Theodore's voice cut through the tension like a blade. "Where are you taking her?" he demanded, his eyes locked onto Caleb with a mixture of challenge and anger.

Caleb turned to me, searching my face for any sign of recognition or reassurance. "Do you know him?" he asked quietly, his voice gentle but cautious, as if he was bracing for a storm.

"She does," Theodore answered before I could, his tone laced with a possessiveness that made my heart pound. It was like he was staking his claim, a silent message that I was still his, even if we were no longer together.

"Looks like the leftover finally moved on," one of Theodore's friends sneered, the words dripping with mockery.

"Leftover?" I repeated, my voice trembling with a mix of disbelief and hurt. My eyebrows knitted together as the sting of the insult settled in. Was that really how he saw me now?

Oz Wyltt P.O.V

"My sentence—please, grant me a chance to mitigate," I pleaded, my voice trembling with urgency. I could feel the weight of my fate pressing down on me, suffocating me with every breath.

She stared at me, her gaze unwavering and intense. "Protect the boy, for the seed that comes from him shall be planted here," she said, her voice calm yet commanding, a hint of prophecy in her words.

"What?" I asked, my mind spinning. Her words made no sense. Who was this boy? What seed?

"I revoke your sentence," she declared, her hand cutting through the air with finality. The Reaper, who had been standing silently nearby, blinked in disbelief, his usual stoic expression replaced with sheer astonishment. Even he hadn't expected this turn of events.

"Go now," she commanded, a portal opening up before me, swirling with a strange, crackling energy that seemed to pull at the very fabric of reality. The air around it hummed with power.

"Remember," she added cryptically, "that dove shall be your future son-in-law."

Son-in-law? The words echoed in my mind, each syllable striking like a hammer on an anvil.

"How can I have a son-in-law when I don't even have a daughter?" I demanded, my voice rising with a mix of confusion and frustration. But as soon as the words left my mouth, realization struck me like a bolt of lightning. Her smile grew, knowing and almost amused, as if she had been waiting for this moment of clarity.

She didn't need to say more. The implications of her words crashed over me, and I felt the ground shift beneath my feet. I staggered, caught between disbelief and a dawning understanding that filled me with both dread and a strange sense of inevitability.

"Goodbye, little one," she whispered softly, her voice carrying a gentle finality. In an instant, the world around me began to shift and blur, the portal's energy wrapping around me like a cocoon.

Zoe Lawson P.O.V

"He rejected me." The words felt heavy on my tongue, a confession that tasted bitter even as it left my lips.

Caleb's eyes danced with a mixture of amusement and disbelief, a smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth. "He rejected a pretty girl like you?" he teased, his voice light, but I could feel the weight behind it. His comment sent a rush of warmth to my cheeks, coloring them a soft pink.

His brows knitted together slightly. "But you smell like him," he remarked, a hint of confusion clouding his gaze.

I nodded, the admission hanging between us like a fragile thread. "We've mated," I confessed, the words feeling raw and exposed. I wasn't sure why I was telling him this, but something about Caleb's presence felt safe, like he wouldn't judge me.