XVII - Darcy

There she was. Just leaning on the wall.

Her.

His little mate.

Dublin.

Mine.

He was almost certain he said the words out loud or under his own breath because it was then that she looked up and saw him. Their eyes met. Something inside him was clearly burning. A burning desire to protect her, a burning desire to shield her from the world. A burning desire to just be near her. The way he felt when he first met her.

But the very first time he met her may have been considered illegal to human standards. But it was safe to say in their world, that was normal. Yet, he considered how his little mate would have grown up if she was taken away from her pack at such a young age to live with him and their future pack. 

He didn't let those thoughts take over what was clearly here at present. 

He tried to take a step forward but stopped. He knew he startled her because of her reaction towards him. 

"Hey... I didn't mean to startle you. I just wanted to check up on you. How are you feeling?"

He could tell she was nervous, by the way her eyes widen up. 

"Sorry, for startling you, it's just I know this place is safe but I just wanted to make sure anyway. Do you want to go back? Your sister might be worried about you." He said as softly as possible. Just enough for her to trust him not to hurt her. 

"Please leave me be." She said whispering softly. 

"I'm sorry, but I can't." He said looking around for a place to make him look less of a giant being than he may already think he is, judging from the sight of how she was nervous around him. 

Standing at 6'2" he often thought it was his towering height that made other Lycans nervous. If his height made the majority of Lycans nervous, it didn't take Darcy long enough to figure out how they would react seeing his dad who stands around 6'5".

"Please, I just want to be alone right now. I don't even know why I went with my sister or why we agreed to have coffee with your sister." She said quietly this time. Which made Darcy shoot an eyebrow. 

"Wait...so you're saying you just met my sister and not that you three knew each other from before?"

"Uh yeah why?" 

"Nothing. I could have sworn you knew her already." 

"Is there something you wanted to pass on to me that my sister may not have already told me?" 

A small bitter smile appeared on his face before answering her.

"No. I came on my own. I just wanted to tell you that we should go back. Your coffee might get cold."

"Really? Coffee?" 

"I mean it could be tea. I really don't know what you ordered."

He knew he was trying to be funny, but only to sound like he was being sarcastic. Something he often reserve for his twin sister. 

"Sorry." They both said together, which startled Dublin and made Darcy raised another eyebrow. 

"Ladies first." He said as he stepped away and made a gesture for her to pass first.

"I didn't know formalities still existed." She said before moving forward. Avoiding his gaze and fixing hers on the scenery.

"It exists in my pack. I am not fully sure if it exists in other packs." He said following behind her.

"It exists in mine too. You never told me what pack you belong to." She said trying to strike up a conversation, which to his surprise was cute.

"Does it matter?" He asked all the while leaving a measurable space between them. 

"Not really, I just wanted to know its all."

"Blood Moon." He said quietly, and that was enough for Darcy to look away before Dublin stopped from her tracks and turned to stare at him.