Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Jiya wanted to get an abortion, but she did not know how to discuss this thing with Vikrant. Seeing his enthusiasm for the child, she did not want to ruin his happiness, but it was also necessary to talk about her feelings.After dinner, both were taking a stroll in the lawn.

"I want to tell you something."

"Please say I am listening."

She was scared of Vikrants reaction. She was trying to find right words to put forth her feelings.

"What is there to think so much about?"

"I... I want to get an abortion."

Vikrant looked at Jiya angrily. He took her hand and led her into the bedroom.Abha had seen this scene and she understood that the matter was serious because Vikrant does not get angry so easily.Vikrant had locked the door as soon as he entered the room. Jiya was shocked to see such a strong reaction from his side.

"Yeah, say now, what did you say?"

She said with a lot of courage. "I'm not mentally ready for this baby right now, I need a little time."

Vikrant started talking to her in a loud voice.

"You should think about this before you got pregnant. Why didn't you think of it then? Look Jiya, I never pressured you for a child, but now that you are pregnant, I will not allow you to have an abortion at all. I can't take the sin of killing my own child on my head.There is a life inside you that has just begun to breathe. This child is a symbol of my love for you, how can you even think of killing him?"

"Vikrant, don't try to bring me down in my own eyes by talking so emotionally. Why aren't you trying to understand me? The pre and post pregnancy period will going to break me emotionally and physically. It's my body, so I have right to decide whether I want to give birth to a child or  not?"

"God has given the right to become a mother only to a woman, not to a man. So it is obvious that you will have to bear the pain of giving birth to a child. I don't want to discuss this further."

Jiya was crying hiding her face in the pillow and Vikrant had turned his back and lay down. Today, for the first time in so many months, they had a quarrel. Vikrant didn't like seeing her cry. He pulled Jiya close to him and started wiping her tears.

"Sorry Jiya, don't cry like this anymore. Look towards me."

She was still crying. "Listen to me carefully.You are not alone in this journey of nine months, I am with you. If you take good care of yourself, stay happy and follow the doctor's advice, then you will not have any problem. I want you to give birth to this child. Can't you do this for me? If something happens to me tomorrow, there should something of me with you. I need a girl who looks like you."

Vikrant's emotional words had made Jiya think. She did not want the child, but she could not even take the decision of abortion by making him sad.

She didn't want to give birth to a child, but Vikrant badly wanted to have a child with her. Somehow he convinced her to have a baby, and she dropped the idea of abortion. Due to pregnancy, Jiya's mood used to change every moment. Because she was vomiting, she was getting annoyed, and her weakness was increasing. She felt tired all the time.

The reins of the kitchen went again into Abha's hands. Vikrant had gone to the office, and Jiya was sitting outside on the lawn. As soon as she saw her sitting alone, she went there to have a conversation with her.

"Can I get you something to drink? In these two months of pregnancy, your condition has become so bad. How are you going to make it through the long nine months?"

"Hmmm, I too think the same. Sometimes I fear that if I die at the time of delivery, what will happen to my dreams? I feel like getting an abortion, but now it's too late."

" You are just twenty-four. Jiya, this age is for enjoying life, not being bound by responsibilities. You should have thought about it before getting pregnant."

"Mistakes happen in life, even if you don't want to. What can you do?"

"Don't worry, there's still time. Have you spoken to him about this?"

"He is against abortion."

"Hmmm, can I get you some juice or lemonade?"

 "Get me a lemonade."

She went inside and smiled. From her and Jiya's conversation, she understood the reason behind Vikrant's anger that day. They both had different opinions about the baby, meaning the spark could be turned into fire.

Abha's sense of insecurity about her future was forcing her to do things that did not match her personality. It was not possible to leave the house to which she had given so many precious years of her youth—the house to which she had devoted her whole life to taking care of his children.

Before Jiya's arrival, she used to take care of the entire house. Vikrant used to spend time with her, even if it was on the pretext of children. But now she has become only the nanny of the children, and Vikrant also does not talk to her anymore. This disturbed her greatly.

She wished! If she had thought about herself and Vikrant after Neera's death, she would have become Abha Vikrant Kapoor today. Instead of taking care of Vikrant, she focused on taking care of the children. His needs were not addressed. Since the death of his wife, she has been living with them like family, and suddenly one day Vikrant brought Jiya home as his wife. Well, that's when she woke up from her dream of getting married to Vikrant.

There was only one thing that comforted Jiya these days, and that was Vikrant's love and care for her. He used to show her videos of small children laughing every night, which also brought a smile to her face. She slowly began to accept her child.

When we start accepting life, sometimes it rejects us. This is the irony of life.

Soniya Jadhav

**Don't forget to follow, vote and comment. Thanks for reading the story.