VIII

Askel felt the Christmas chill through the air as the first specks of snow blew through London. His nose was becoming red as he bundled himself in a scarf and beanie.

He heard the bells chiming from a distance and the birds flocking in greater numbers as they migrated somewhere far away.

Somewhere out there in this great big world, was Harry Potter. Alone? Perhaps. Maybe with the rest of the Brady bunch. Was he safe?

Askel shook his head as he riddled himself with his thoughts. He entered into the Leaky Cauldron and settled on the bar stool.

"Usual?" Tom grumbled as he leaned on the counter.

Askel waved his hand in dismissal.

"I'll take a Swott Malt Whiskey, this time," he said as he lit a cigarette.

"Never knew you smoked?" A wizard from across the bar said

Askel looked over and saw the known maid for the Leaky Cauldron as she leaned against her mop.

"I didn't use to," he took a drag from the nasty nicotine of the muggle object, "but as someone who works for the ministry... I needed some stress relief."

"Heard you barely show up at your position anymore," Tom grumbled as he placed the drink in front of him.

Askel glared at Tom and took the drink from him.

"Most of the time you spend in here. Getting drunk," the maid finished

"Why don't you both go back to doing your fucking jobs and stop criticizing how I do mine," he spat out as he downed the bitter drink and slammed it back on the counter.

**
"See, I told you we would find him here," a distant disgusted voice said

Askel groaned as he felt drool collecting near his mouth. His head hurt and so did his body.

"Wake up Askel," another voice said, "Wake up!"

Askel felt the stool he was sitting on give away as he was thrown to the floor.

"What the fuck..." he grumbled as he squinted at the light.

"God he's a drunk," the voice spat as Askel struggled to sit up

"No," Askel corrected, "more like... alcoholically challenged."

"He's barely able to get up,"

"Just give him a minute,"

"He hasn't helped any of us in the past month. Why do we even need him? We've practically found Potter on our own!"

At those words, Askel was wide awake and he used his arms to lift himself.

"Now why would you say that..."

"Where is he?" Askel asked as he finally looked at the two men to see Rookwood and Gibbon standing in front of him.

They both looked at one another.

"What Gibbon means is..." Rookwood started, "Well we don't know where he is per se. But we do have a general idea of where he might be."

"Might is not what the dark lord is looking for," Askel mumbled as he sat back down on the bar stool.

He noticed that there was no one around but the three. No maid, no Tom.

"How would you know what the dark lord wants when all you do is spend hauled up in this bar," Gibbon said

"Just because I took a month off of working doesn't mean I still don't know what he wants," Askel commented as he reached across the bar to find some more alcohol