IV

Flashback
Year: 1977-1978
Age: 11 years old

Askel was sitting with Jay in the great hall playing wizards chess. Christmas was nearing and the halls were decorated with thousands of bright lights. Jay was giggling as his players kept getting smashed.

They were mostly ignored by everyone in their year.  They liked to keep to themselves. It was better that way.

"Losers," Askel's sister muttered

Askel shot her a nasty glare but dismissed her for the most part. They continued playing and eating Christmas food that magically appeared on the table.

Suddenly a figure appeared in front of them. They both looked up to see Dumbledore with his twinkling eyes staring down at them.

"And what are you two up to?" He teased

"W-we where j-just playing s-sir..." Askel stuttered

Dumbledore chuckled.

"I can see that," he said, "you're not going home for Christmas?"

Askel took a second and Jay nodded, encouraging him.

"M-my mom d-doesn't want m-me there," he mumbled, "and I don't want to be there either."

Dumbledore frowned.

"I see," he said, "well just know that Hogwarts will always be here for you. No matter what."

Askel gave a small smile and looked down.

Dumbledore knew Askel's parents, particularly his mom had dark and prejudiced beliefs against muggles and muggle-borns. Charlie on the other hand didn't care as much, he would prefer his kids not to interact with anyone not pure but he didn't dare say anything rude in public. He thought everyone could have their own opinion and leave it at that.

"And I'm staying here with him," Jay smiled

Dumbledore smiled at Jay.

"How nice of you Jay," he said, "I hope you two will be joking us teachers in the great hall for a small feast later on today."

"You can count on us, sir!" Jay said enthusiastically

Dumbledore chuckled.

"I'll see you then,"

Dumbledore walked off and the two stared after him.

"He's a bit strange don't you think?" Jay said

"Yes..." Askel said, "he's very strange."

**
Year: 1978-1979
Age: 12

Askel had fallen asleep in Transfiguration class. McGonagall had yelled at him and threatened him with detention. Already a week in and he was already on her shit list.

Jay was worried about his best friend. Ever since he came back from the summer holiday he could see how depressed he was getting. He knew it probably had something to do with his parents. There were rumors that they were death eaters, and there were rumors that Askel's older sister who was in her last year of Hogwarts had even joined the ranks.

People now stayed away from him. Whispered in the halls. Usually, it didn't get to him but he was losing weight rapidly, and not sleeping, waking up from nightmares.