c h a p t e r n i n e t e e n

I grabbed my bag and lightly pushed open the door. 

"Okay, let's go to Opal's!" Graham started, and was about to walk out the door when I remembered his current state. 

"Wait, Graham!" He looked back at me with a questioning glance.

 "What?" 

"Your eyes. We can't let Mrs. Owen see them." He groaned. 

"Quit whining, and let me find sunglasses." said Willow. 

"Try to not get pink ones, please!" he called. I bumped him with my elbow. 

"She's probably going to look for a pink pair now." He rolled his eyes.

 "Yeah, probably." He poked his head into Willow's room.

 "Hey, Willow?" 

"Yeah?" 

"I actually love pink, I despise black." "Nice try." said Willow, laughing. He turned back to me and pouted. 

"Marshy, she's being mean to me!" 

"Aw, Graham cracker! I really don't care." He pretended to cry and sniffled, leaning against the wall. I rolled my eyes and waited for Willow to emerge. Willow soon walked out of her room and smiled at Graham. 

"What? Don't tell me they're-" 

"-your favourite colour!" Willow finished, placing a pair of light pink sunglasses in Graham's hands.

 "You shouldn't have." 

"Oh, I really should've." Graham reluctantly placed the sunglasses on his face, and squinted. 

"I'm wearing sunglasses indoors. I feel like a jerk." I shrugged. 

"It's the best I could do. Anyways, it's only for a little while." He sighed, and nodded. 

 "Mum, I'm going to Opal's house for dinner. Is that okay?" Willow called. 

"Yes, sure. Just make sure you are home by 8, okay? Your father was planning for us to watch a movie together for family night." Graham laughed, covering his mouth. 

"Your family has "family night?!" Hilarious." Willow glared at him, crossing her arms. 

"You know what else is hilarious?  Your fac-" 

"Alright, alright!" I interjected, pushing them apart. 

"That's enough now, no fighting on the walk there, alright?" Graham groaned loudly. 

"We're walking?! Why?"

 "You know what, I actually don't know. I  didn't know you could drive Graham!  Shall we ride your tricycle? I call the handlebar seat." said Willow. 

"Stop it, you two! Besides, it's only a block or two. Let's go."

----

"Here we are! See, it wasn't so bad, was it?" I asked. 

"No, it was a lovely walk, with lovely company. Excluding Willow." Willow laughed, with no humour. I ignored their bantering and knocked on the door. My dad answered, smiling at Willow and I.

 "Nice to see you again, Willow! How are you?" Willow grinned and shook his hand. 

"I'm great, Mr. Wakefield! How are you?"

 "I'm good." My dad's eyes landed on Graham. 

"And may I ask who this is, Opal?" My dad was always the protective type, and Graham was no exception.