c h a p t e r t h r e e

Here I am, sitting in these ridiculously uncomfortable chairs with my mother and Mr. Wells, and wondering how this meeting will go. Well, based on how red his face is, I assume that this will be as smooth as gravel. My mother will apologize for my actions, and agree with everything he says, as always.

"Good evening, Mrs. Wakefield. Care to discuss about Opal's contributions in class today?" I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my chair. So it begins. 

"Absolutely." Mr. Wells looked at me and sighed. 

"Opal is a very...unique student."

Unique? Sounds like his way of saying, " She's not normal and I hate that."

My mother raised her eyebrows. 

"Unique? You say that like it's a bad thing." I sat up in my chair. Was she mocking him?!

"O-oh, of course it's not! Unique-er..ness is wonderful!" Great vocabulary for an English teacher. 

"I just don't understand why she got so upset in class, and I personally think that it was unnecessary in many ways. After all, she should listen more to the teacher in class, and not become agitated because I have different views than her!"

"Well, isn't that what you are doing right now, Mr. Wells? You are getting quite agitated, if I do say so myself." My mother leaned closer to Mr. Wells, who looked a bit, no, very scared. 

"My daughter is allowed to think and believe whatever she wants to believe, and you have no say in that whatsoever. You are allowed to disagree, but do not attempt to suppress or contain her opinions in any way from now on. Is that clear?" Mr. Wells nodded quickly, not making a sound. My mother stood up and grabbed her purse.

 "Great! Now that we understand each other, we should be getting home. I need to make supper."

And with that, she grabbed her coat and left, with me scurrying behind.

"Mum, what was that?!" I laughed, amazed.

 "I simply told that man that he has no control over what you or anyone else believes. He is quite stubborn, but I think I put him in his place." "

Well, he looked downright scared of you, mum!" 

"He isn't scared, he just knows that if he does anything wrong again, there will be consequences." I nodded in agreement. 

My mother turned around and put her hand on my shoulder. "Now that that's done and over with, let's go home. I dislike being in such close proximity with that man."