c h a p t e r f i f t e e n

Not long after our dispute, we arrived at Willow's house. Willow skipped up the patio and unlocked the door. Her house was old-fashioned, sort of a Victorian-era style. It was very classic and beautiful, I had always loved it when I was small , with it's pearly white gates and scalloped roof. The door opened with a familiar "click", and we stepped inside. "Here we are! I think my mum is hom-"

Willow was interrupted by a feminine voice coming from the kitchen. 

"Willow, you're home! How was school?" Before she could respond, she came out from the kitchen to greet her. She smiled with delight as she saw me and Graham. "You brought friends! Always nice to see you, Opal." I smiled as she engulfed me in a bone-crushing hug. 

Willow's mother was like my second mom. Her and my own mother were friends since college, and they were delighted when they found out that Willow and I were in the same preschool. Since then, they have always had coffee together in this vintage-style, quaint cafe every Wednesday. It was their tradition for as long as I could remember.

 "How are you, Mrs. Owen?" I asked. "Oh, just wonderful!" Her eyes brightened when she saw Graham.

"Oh, who's this? I don't think I've met you before, have I?" Graham shook his head. "No, ma'am. My name's Graham. Nice house you've got!'' 

"Oh, thanks honey! You're so sweet. Now, I just took out some cookies from the oven. Why don't you come down to the kitchen and we can have a snack?" "Thanks, mum. But, we have some, um, homework we need to do. It's a group project. I don't think we have time for a snack right now." Willow said, setting her backpack on the floor.

Mrs. Owen laughed and patted her daughter's head. "No time for a snack? Nonsense! It won't take long, honey. I bet your friends might like some cookies."

Before Willow could decline, she walked into the kitchen.

Willow sighed, and followed her mother into the kitchen, fishing out plates from a drawer. She handed them out to us and we sat down. Graham leaned over to me and whispered in my ear. 

"Maybe the cookies have fluffy marshmallows in them." I rolled my eyes and smacked him arm. "Really? Your attempts at jokes are killing me." He laughed and nudged me with his shoulder. 

"Come on. You know you love my sense of humour!" 

"More like, despise and loathe it."

 "Ooh, fancy words!" 

"Which are obviously not in your vocabulary, Cracker." He put his hand over his heart and gasped dramatically.

 "How dare you insult my extensive vocabulary!" 

"Ooh, fancy words." I said, mimicking his tone. He opened his mouth to reply but was interrupted by Mrs. Owen gasping in surprise. We turned to her, wondering what she was surprised about. 

"Are you two a couple?!"

 "Definitely-" Graham started, "Not!" I said. 

Willow laughed. "Aw, you finished each other's sentences! That's so cute!" Mrs. Owen smiled and looked at Willow. "Aw, that's a pity. I thought you were!" "We're just friends. Right, Graham?" I asked, glaring at Graham, who was smiling cheekily.

Oh boy, what am I going to do with him?