Like Real People Do

So guys! Hey, it's been a while since I wrote in this book but life is so busy and hectic! I've been in Florida with my best friend for a week and were in the car heading back now, so I thought why not do something to remind me of Destin? You should play "like real people do" by hozier for the best effect :)

"How did we end up here?" Carol furrows her eyebrows as she tugs on the weeds across the sign.

'Destin, Florida' is in big font across the metal. My mind flashes back to a picture of my parents, sisters and I when I was younger. I was only a baby so I don't remember much, but I would make daddy tell me all about it as I looked over the family picture.

The big sign is behind us, towering. Our smiles are big. Daddy has a clean shaved face and short hair, it's just starting to turn a light white, gray color. His arm is draped around my mama. Maggie is around twelve, her teeth showing and she has a hand behind my brother. He was around ten maybe. Beth's glowing blond hair is in a braid, she's sitting on the grass. That's the only way she could hold me since she was only four. She is holding me close to her chest, her beautiful grin showing as she squints her eyes at the camera.
(Awh this makes me kinda sad?)

I smile softly and I walk over to touch the sign, as if it were delicate and ready to crumble.
"Remember?" I turn to Mag and she doesn't smile like I do. "Yeah, I remember. We need to find shelter and a vehicle for tomorrow. If we're heading to Washington, we need energy."

Everyone nods. I can see that Rick is wondering what I remember but he doesn't tempt to ask me. I'm thankful.

I walk back to Carl's side and we listen for any directions the grown ups give us. I've held hands with Carl a couple of times, but we haven't labeled what we are. I don't really think there's a need to, I mean Maggie and Glenn didn't label their relationship until they got married. I'm sure we're not going to get married anytime soon, if we even did that.

I zoned out, staring at the natural disaster around me. "C'mon." Carl whispered, tugging on my hand. I grasped his in mine and watched the group head off.

"What are we doin?" I whispered in his ear as we trudged along. "We're heading away from the city, there's probably too many walkers for us to handle. We're gonna find a camp for the night while Dad, Daryl and Abraham sneak in the town and look for food."

"I bet there's a lot of supplies out there. Too bad about us not finding a nice hotel or something there. That'd be nice." He nods to me and grips my hand tighter as we walk close behind.

---

"Carl.. Carlll.." I whisper shaking him gently. He twists and grunts a little as he looks up to me. "What happened?" He asks and I hold my hand to his mouth. "Shh, we gotta be quiet. I had a crazy awesome idea." I smile, although he can't see it. I can't feel him sit up. "What is it?" "Wanna sneak out to town with me?" "No." My smile fades quickly. "Please, it's important."

"It's not as important as our lives." He groans and I shush him again.

"Please. This would mean a lot. We just gotta get in and out, I wanna go to the hotel my family stayed at down here."

"Listen, in sorry y/n, but how do you think Maggie would feel about it? How do you think my dad would feel?" He said softly and I frowned on the darkness.

"Alright, it's fine. I understand what you're saying." I walked to a corner away from everyone in the large, empty storage building.

It only took a few minutes before I heard shuffling over towards me. Didn't take much to pull together that Carl was sitting beside me. I felt a small thin blanket lay across the two of us.

A small light appeared as Carl turned the lantern on dim.
"Are you mad at me?" He whispered as he leaned closer.
"No, I get where you're coming from. It was dumb anyway." I chuckled softly.

"It wasn't dumb. Remember when we ran Woodbury off? How me, dad, and Michonne went to our hometown to get guns?" I nodded at him as he pulled my hand into his again.

This was something we've always done, since I met him on my farm. When we were scared, or just to have something to do, we grabbed each other hands. It kinda stuck since no one was bothered by it.

"Well, I dragged Michonne to an old diner just to get a picture of my family. I wanted to show Judith what our mom looked like. Too bad I didn't get to keep the picture." His lips started to play a smile but ended up biting into a straight line.

"You had something to go for though, I have nothing but memories. Things I asked my parents, brother, and sisters. I was too little to remember anything, only a couple of months. I know that Maggie and Bub were usually out in the ocean. Beth and I were too little. There's pictures of Beth building sand castles and I'm in dads lap. Well there was."

"I understand though. Memories are important, you shouldn't have to forget people you love. But let's not talk about it right now. Let's keep hope in front of us." His grip tightened around my hand.

"Carl." I smiled and pushed forward to him. "Hmm?"
"We should just kiss, like real people do." I whispered in his ear.

I can see his body stiffen as he looked at me with a grin. "What do you mean?"

I contemplated on how to answer his question, so he'd understand me.

"Do you mean that were living? Kiss like a living person would, not a walker?" "Not exactly." I bit my lip and decided carefully on my words.

"I will not ask you where you came from, neither should you. Just put your lips on my lips. Let's kiss. Like real people do."

Carl laughed quietly before moving in swiftly to brush our lips together. It only lasted a couple of seconds. He pulled back gently and my cheeks were bright red.

"I could get used to that and holding hands." I giggled under my breath and bit on my lower lip. "Me too. We should sleep?" He whispered and I nodded to him.

So does anyone listen to Hozier? He's the love of my life omg. If you do, I used his song for this chapter! Sorry if there's any mistakes, I'm in the car lol. Let me know why you liked or disliked this chapter!