Chapter 26

Skylar's POV
"We'll pay for your house."

"Only until, you're both financially stable."

"T-this is bullshit!"

Rosaria walked up to me.

She had the saddest eyes,...

I had ever seen.

"We go?" She asked as her voice cracked.

I didn't know what to say. I just stood up.

"You're seriously about to kick a toddler out of the only safe environment she has?!"

My parents looked at each other.

"Unfuckingbelievable! She's your granddaughter! She fucking loves seeing you guys everyday! What the hell?!"

"We have a place set up for you all to go look at."

I crossed my arms.

"Oh so you're house hunting for us now?"

"You can move into this one right away. Just...go look at it."

"You might like it."

Rosaria pulled on my pants. I looked down.

"We go bye bye?"

I crouched down.

"Yes baby girl. We have to go bye bye. We're no longer welcome here. We have to move before...your sister gets here."

"Nonna....pop pop...no love me?"

"No no. That's not what we're saying."

"We still love you."

I stood up.

It's been a month since...

The three of us got kicked out. I've decided to be civil with my parents. I'm not doing it for me. I'm doing it for Rosaria.

I'm not about to cut them outta her life. That's not fair to her.

"Dadda? Dadda?"

"Yes?"

"I lost!"

"Coming!"

I found her in the lounge room.

"Hi sweetheart."

"I no like."

"You don't like the house? I get it. At the moment,
I'm not a fan of it either. But...this is home now. We just gotta make it our own. It's okay. I promise...it's okay."

"I scared."

I crouched down then cupped her left cheek.

"It's okay baby girl. Me and mama are scared too. It's a new place. It's bigger than noona and pop pop's house. You have lots of room to play now. We have a pool now. Isn't that cool? We live in Florida too. Do you know what that means?"

She shook her head.

"It means...we can use it all the time. It's got a heater. We can probably use it during the winter."

She nuzzled up against my hand.

"It's gonna be okay. This might not even be our forever home. It might just be temporary. We don't know yet. Why'd you get lost? Did you need anything? Did you need me or mama?"

She shrugged.

"Let's see...were you just exploring on your own?"

She nodded.

"Alright. That's okay. I'll explore with you. Just lead the way. We can walk around as many times as you want. We'll both probably get to know this place better."