Chapter 46

Mo Yeon's pov

[past, 3 years ago]

'Looks like they are making the noise even louder on purpose.' I say to Y/n next to me, both of us holding a canned coffee standing at the back of the hospital building, the morning trash collecting truck has come to clear the hospital bins. The workers complain that some people don't recycle properly, hauling the trash bag into the truck as I glance at Y/n. To be honest, I am still slightly uncomfortable around her, feeling like a tiny floating shrimp just trying to survive in between the two big whales fighting.

Y/n doesn't reply, her hand digging into the coffee can, the thin metallic surface starting to get crushed. I turn to see her properly, her eyes turning glassy and unblinking as she stares at the glass bottles being thrown into the truck with a loud shattering noise.

'Are you okay?' I ask, Y/n staying silent, her hands starting to shake.

I reach out as she turns around, holding herself as she sprints away into the hospital building. I follow her into the rooftop after trying to get the elevator full of patients and staff for five minutes straight.

'Y/n?' I ask as I see her back crouched down, her hands covering her ears. I walk closer, hearing Y/n whimper as she leans onto the wall, slapping her ears at something.

'Is everything okay?' I say again as I kneel down next to her still rubbing her ears as if something is piercing her eardrums, the tears falling down to the dark green floor even when I can't see her face from the strands of hair covering it.

I only tap her shoulders, unsure what the problem is since I have never seen her like this before. Even when things were tense with the Director, I only saw her with her best composure, me being more shaken up by the small things between the two heirs. Y/n suddenly looks up, her eyes looking hazy as she stares at me blankly, lowering her hands to her side.

'...' I look back at her, Y/n reaching up and rubbing her teary eyes. 'What was that?' I ask carefully, Y/n still staring at me with unreadable eyes.

'I heard my mother and my father figure...get killed. And saw it too. It keeps coming back.' She replies, her voice sounding quiet, looking toward the sun starting to rise. I look at the orange sunrise reflecting in her glassy eyes, the tearstains glinting against the sunlight seeping through the dark clouds.

'...If you are suffering...shouldn't you get treatment?' I suggest timidly, sitting properly next to Y/n blankly staring out to the sunrise.

'I tried.' She replies curtly, and I glance at her, hoping I didn't bother her with unnecessary assumptions. 'But they keep asking me to talk about it. It's too hard.' She says, pulling her knees together, burying her lips into her arms on top of them.

'You know, being ill isn't a weakness.' I offer but Y/n only shakes her head slowly.

'For most people, but not for Haesung.' She replies, her words muffled from the tears.

I watch her brush the tearstains with the tip of her fingers, the spring breeze brushing the strands of hair sticking to her tears away. Instead, I reach my hand out, placing my arm around her back.

Surprisingly, she leans onto me, closing her eyes.

[present]

CCTV footage 120220241