Chapter 2

Y/n's pov

'Dr. Han, the materials are covering his heart inside. Coronary arteries seem to be bleeding inside as well.' One of the resident doctors says, showing you the scan of the TA patient. You see the patient's vital signs drop, his pulse unstable as you look up.

'Prepare the OP room. And call Dr. Kang from the thoracic department.' You say, the resident doctor turning around to call Mo Yeon at the thoracic department.

'She's apparently in another surgery.' The resident doctor says dumbly to you as you walk over to the pile of scrubs in the sterilised room, opening the door as you grab a clean scrub set.

'Then call someone else?' You reply sharply, the resident doctor bowing as he runs out again, dialing someone else on his hospital phone. Sighing, you change into the new scrub, moving to the sink to wash your hands and forearms. Pressing the pedal with your foot, you feel the cold water on your hands, scrubbing your hands, fingers, in between the fingers, nails, and forearms with the soap before rinsing them clean. You look into the mirror in front of you, taking a deep breath, and walking over to the OP room. Once again half kicking the pedal on the side, the door opens automatically, the lead nurse putting the sterilised latex gloves onto your hands. 

'Stay focused.' You say to the others, the anesthetist nodding as she puts the mask over the patient. 

'Blade.' You order, the first-year resident doctor handing you the blade from the tools on the green matt next to the bed. Inhaling deeply, you put the blade over the patient's chest, dragging it down cleanly. You see the dead blood ooze out, the inner organs coming into view as the skin separates. 

'We'll have to remove each piece and stitch the wounds back together. Then we fix the wounds on the skin.' You say, seeing the black objects spattered in the heart muscles and the vessel. The other doctors nod, taking their tools and holding the tissue clearly into your view as you remove each piece. The resident doctor removes the blood dripping out from the hole with the pipe, and the nurse hands you the needle as you move on to stitch the tissues together. 

'You, do the same for the vessels.' You say to Dr. Kim, the thoracic surgeon, her looking up in surprise. 'I said pay attention.' You say again, her quickly taking the tools from the nurse and starting to do the same on the arteries. 

'Oh!' She yelps, the blood sputtering onto your scrub from the artery bleeding out as your hands move quicker to tie off the stitches on the heart muscles while the other doctors and nurses try to fix the mess. 

'What did I touch!' Dr. Kim shouts, trying to block the blood spraying her face. Reaching your tweezers, you hold the cut on the blood vessel, the blood stopping to splurge out gradually. The nurse hands you the needle, and you quickly stitch the vessel back before turning to Dr. Kim. 

'I told you to focus.' You tell Dr. Kim, the atmosphere in the cool OP room turning colder as the other doctors freeze looking down at the patient. 'Get out.' You say to Dr. Kim, her glaring at you grumpily from the other side of the bed.

'I said get out.' You repeat the others holding their breath with only the slow beeping of the heart monitor ringing in the room. 'You're not helping. Leave and get Dr. Kang.' You say, Dr. Kim finally stomping out of the OP room. 

'We can't let this patient die now. So concentrate and don't make mistakes.' You say to the others, and they reply "yes" before you resume the surgery waiting for Mo Yeon to arrive.