Chapter 9

Y/n's pov

[past]

'Eomma. Did dad cheat on you? Is that why we're here? Because we ran away?' You ask, throwing your laptop onto the bed in your mother's room. She turns from her vanity, her eyes widening on her horrified face.

'Ella-ya.' She calls you, closing the laptop screen with the articles covering the news about his affair.

'Why didn't you tell me?' You say, feeling your voice break as your mother comes closer, holding your arms as she sits on the bed in front of you.

'Why didn't you tell me when I begged my dad like an animal to treat me like Han Seok Won?' You shout, tears pooling in your eyes as they sting hot.

'Ella-ya, let me explain-' Your mother says as you throw her hands away, her eyes rimming red.

'Why did you let me beg him to love me back? When he's the one who abandoned us. You should have told me to hate him. So why.' You scream, glass shattering from the vanity in your hand., Your mother sprints over to you, pulling you away from the glass shards.

'After years, I only find out now why Han Seok Won treated me like that. Because we're not actually siblings. And you let me wonder why he won't treat me like one.' You shout, your mother restraining you in her arms.

'You have to listen.' She says, holding you tightly.

'I listened to you all my life. And this is where it gets me. You embarrassed me in front of people like that.' 

'LISTEN TO ME.' She screams back, holding your arms from pushing her away. You fall silent, stepping away from her as you see the angry teardrop roll down her face.

'We haven't run away. We're preparing to take Haesung away from him. For you.' She says, her hands tightening around your shoulders as you stare back at your mother.

'Whoever says otherwise, Haesung is yours.' She says, her eyes containing poison as she glares into your eyes. You fall silent, seeing the venom in her eyes that you've never seen before.

'Eomma...' You say, her shaking you by your shoulders, her eyes glinting in furious tears.

'Our job is to keep you safe you until you become an adult. Whether you go back to Haesung or remain here is your choice after that.' She states, her stern eyes glistening with tears as they glare into yours like an engravement.

[present]

You sit at the bench outside medicube, the dark of the night settling in Uruk remembering all the small signs you failed to see when your mother was alive. 

'Y/n!' You hear Mo Yeon's voice in the distance, her standing by a car that has stopped by the second medicube container, motioning at you to come.

'Look at this.' She says as you run over to the patient being rolled out of the car, showing you his medical records on the chart.

'Chairman of Arab league? Mubarat?' You ask, everyone's expressions stiffening at your voice.

'What?' Dr. Song asks as he turns his head from checking the vitals of the patient.