Chapter 41

Y/n's pov

'You, get out. And you do it.' You say irritatedly as the intern doctor fumbles the tubes over the patient around in the OR, the other intern that was only watching behind him gladly taking over. The OR door opens, and the first intern defeatedly leaves out the door. 

'Hold that.' You say again, the intern taking the tweezers from your hand and holding the tissues in place. Normally, you did not mind interns taking part in OPs or medical students coming in to watch the surgery, but when they did not do their work properly, it annoyed you. Some commented that they were interns, not professors or even resident doctors, but you believed that in the ER, the damages were too big when mistakes were made regardless of your position. Dr. Park, your senior, had been no different to you when you were learning under him. 

'Finish the rest.' The assistant surgeon nods as she takes the tools to stitch the opening on the patient from the nurse next to you. You walk out of the OR, leaving the final stitching to the others, removing your scrub. 

'Dr. Han?' You turn around, tiredly pushing the strands of hair out of your face. The nurse stands awkwardly in front of you, pointing at the lobby outside the ER. 'There's someone calling for you outside.' She says, and you follow her gaze, seeing the vague green military uniform outside the hospital.  

'Thank you.' You say dryly, your eyes focused on the soldier standing outside. 

CCTV footage 080220241

The doctor sprints out of the hospital, her footsteps growing slower seeing the soldier in front of the military car. She looks around as if to look for someone else, stepping backward as the soldier walks closer. 

'Sergeant Choi?' She asks the soldier on the verge of tears, standing in front of her. 

'Han seon-saeng-nim.' The soldier says, his lips trembling as the doctor's expression stiffens. 

'Where's Captain Yoo?' She asks again, her eyes turning blurry from the tears although her voice remains steady. The soldier only looks down, biting his lips trying to suppress the sounds of his cries. 'Where.' The doctor says, her eyes rimming red, her gaze lowering down to his hand holding a white envelope. 

She strains her eyes at the soldier as if to stop her tears from falling. The soldier glances up at the doctor, his lips trembling with glassy eyes as he watches the doctor's expression turn hollow. 

'Captain Yoo and Sergeant Seo passed away during the battle.... I'm sorry.' The soldier says quietly, reaching the white envelope out to the doctor only glaring blankly at his face. The soldier takes her arm, placing the white envelope on top of her hand. 'This was his will for you.' He says, looking away from the doctor's resentful gaze. 

'Why?' The doctor asks, her voice breaking looking at the soldier burying his teary face in his hand. Her fingers tremble as they curl into a fist, staring at the soldier in front of her for a few seconds, her nails digging into her palm. 

Y/n's pov

You wipe your eyes, starting the car impatiently as you shove the unopened white envelope into your white coat. Before you start driving, you see Mo Yeon running out of the hospital towards your car still in her scrub, wasting no second to throw open the door. 

'I'm going with you.' She says breathlessly as she gets into the assistant seat, taking the seatbelt and securing it. 'Go.' She says again as you watch her blankly, gesturing at you to start driving.