40

Onika's POV
Home
August 6

"Morning, Dr Rosanna." I shut my bedroom door, scurrying towards the bathroom where I locked myself inside.

"Hi, Onika. You asked me to call you. Why is that?"

"When can I next see you in person?" I asked, leaning my body against the bathroom counter.

"I have some time later on today, if that's ok? Do you have a preferred time?"

"Well, I'm going to be in Austin until around 4." I explained, folding one arm over my chest, keeping the phone to my ear.

"My office is open until 9. Get here by 7 because it sounds like you have a lot to talk about."

"I do."

"Don't worry if you're late though." She spoke, knowing I was likely to be late.

I smiled, sighing. "Thank you so much."

"It is no problem, Onika. Have a good day."

"You too." I replied, dropping the call.

I retracted the phone from my ear, stuffing it in my back pocket. I shut my eyes, taking a deep breath before jolting at the sound of a knock.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Cav?" I responded, staying exactly where I was.

"Can we come on your trip?"

"We?" I questioned, since she was the only one I could hear.

"Yeah, we." I heard Armani speak.

"Sure."

They cheered, excitedly and it sounded like they'd walked away. But I had a feeling there was more than 2 kids behind that door.

"Cupcake?" I called out.

"Yes, mommy." Nilaya responded.

"I assume you don't want to join us on our excursion?"

"Nope. Can I go out later with titi Des?"

"Of course you can."

"Thanks." She gleamed before leaving the door.

Even after she left, I felt like there was more. It was only two other people in this house after the first 3.

"Mora? Bey?"

I could hear a shared low laugh and then a synchronised response, "Yes, ma'am?"

"What do you two want?"

"Mama's taking me out driving today." Zamora spoke up. "Is that ok?"

"Did your mama say it was ok?" I countered with a question.

"She said to ask you."

"Beyoncé?" I slowly threw my head back, stretching some.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Take her driving." I insisted, agreeing with the initial decision she'd made.

"Ok, ma'am."

That was it. That was all of them.

I pushed my body away from the sink, to turn and face the mirror. I needed to mediate some time soon.

Ever since I got back into therapy, I'd been craving those 10 minutes to myself more than ever.

After a few seconds of just standing in there, I left the bathroom and entered my bedroom again. I wore Alaia striped leggings and a pale pink Chanel ribbed t-shirt. Nothing too dramatic. Then I picked up one of my Chanel handbags. It was packed with the essentials for the drive.