Chapter 46: Unchained

Start from the beginning

Charlotte cursed. "God, he would see the two of you rot down here if he has his way!"

"Good thing we will not let that happen." Lydia said, reaching into her coat pocket. "Now forgive me if we did not grab the right ones, we didn't have time to sort through the stock but.." She pulled out a cluster of keys. "We're here to get you out."

Lucy gasp and she heard Ross bark out a laugh. "Did you really job rob the deputies?"

"What are they going to do, throw us in the cells next to you?" Charlotte snorted as she worked on the lock of Ross's cell. "And just so you know, our initial plan was to sneak in here and tell you all that we've found out on the outside, but the opportunity presented itself to... Take things a step further."

Lucy had so many questions, starting with what it was that was going on outside and what information her sister and Charlotte had, but right now the only one that she could manage to get out was. "How did you to run into each other?"

Lydia and Charlotte exchanged a look and a smirk crossed both of their lips. "Your friend tried to kill me with a parasol," Lydia said as attempted to get Lucy's door open, "and then we decided it best to put our odds aside and come together for a common cause."

"I hardly tried to kill you," Charlotte said, still working on Ross's door. "More like maim... Or merely make a statement."

"How much time do we have to get out of here, exactly?" Ross asked.

"We sent the deputies on a wild hunt for the local drunk who, apparently, is starting quite the ruckus in the market." Lydia informed him. "That should give us a little less than an hour to get you both out and far, far away from here." She paused and looked up, turning in Ross's direction. "I don't believe we've been properly introduced." She extended a hand towards him. "I'm Lydia Quincy, Lucy's little sister. Forgive the lack of curtsey, a bit difficult to accomplish when you're trying to break your sister out of her cell."

Ross chuckled and took her hand. "All is forgiven, and it is a pleasure to meet you. I'm Captain Ross Beauchamp, hopefully your future brother in law."

"Let's keep that hope alive," Lydia said, turning back to her task.

"Have you heard from our uncle?" Lucy asked.

"Heard from him? Try being practically imprisoned by him in my own bedroom." Lydia scowled. "Although, I shouldn't complain, given your circumstances."

"He locked you in you room?!" Lucy asked enraged. "The bastard..."

Another banging sounded from the end of their cell block, causing all of them to jump.

"Blast, they must have sent some deputies back!" Charlotte worked faster. "Either that or they realized that we took their keys."

Lucy reached through her cells to try to stop Lydia. "Liddie, go. You don't have to do this."

"Quiet, Lucy, let me focus."

The echo of shouting deputies could be heard and that only spurred Lucy's will to get her sister out of there. "Lydia, please go. Go before they find you here!"

A click sounded and Lydia looked up at Lucy's shocked face. "I would have hoped that you would know by now that I will never abandon you, sister."

She swung Lucy's door open and instantly pulled her into a hug. Still reeling from her shock and an excess of adrenaline, Lucy found it difficult to stand. She fell into her sister's arms and the embrace.

"Blast!" Charlotte cursed. "I'm so sorry, Ross, I've tried every key."

"Then go." He said, his voice firm. "The both of you take Lucy and get out of here."