𝙉𝙞𝙘𝙚 & 𝙎𝙡𝙤𝙬

MATURE CONTENT⚠️: This is a warning message from the author. The following chapter is NOT appropriate for all ages. Please read at your own risk. Thank you.

"You okay, hun?"

I just nodded and gave Lilian a teeth-less smile, which could have looked more convincing if I hadn't been toying around my food with a fork for the past five minutes. It was a little past evening and simoné still hadn't come home yet.  I was growing anxious and for all the wrong reasons.

"You're waiting on her, aren't you?"

"I'm sorry?" My head shot up from my plate.

"My boss. You're waiting for her to get home, yes?"

"Oh no- nothing like tha-

"You don't have to lie to me. I've been watching the two of you and your little chemistry."

Little?

I studied Lilian from across the table as she continued on.

"It's adorable to say the least, but I wouldn't fall into the trap if I were you."

"What do you mean, 'trap'?" I frowned.

"You're just such a naive and innocent young woman. I'd really hate to see your heart get broken in the worst way so early in life."

"I'm...still not followi—

Lilian got up and went into the living before coming back, holding a binder-like book in hand. She practically tossed it on the table in front of me, making me flinch.

"What's this?"

"Open it."

I carefully opened the thick covered book and was immediately greeted by something that made my tummy feel heavy. It was a photo of Simoné hugging some woman from behind with her face buried in the woman's neck.

Right off the bat, I knew who it was.

"This is her?" My voice came off quieter than expected, but she heard me anyway.

"Mhm, that's Maria." She beamed. "Gorgeous, isn't she?"

"Stunning..." I whispered, silently admiring the woman's beauty in the photo. I couldn't lie, she was perfect. Perfect hair, perfect skin, perfect style...perfect everything.

"That was their anniversary photo. One of the happiest days of the boss's life, next to their wedding of course."

I swallowed deeply, trying my best to disregard that statement.

"Why did they divorce?"

"Maria was seeing someone else. It left the boss devastated for MONTHS and to tell you the truth, I don't think either of them ever really got over each other. You'd think with them being split up for so long, they'd finally moved on, but their chemistry still lives on. Some nights, Maria would stop by the boss's job just to 'pay her a visit'. I'm not sure if she still does or not, but..."

My gaze shifted to the floor and suddenly I didn't feel too good.

"Oh."

It was taking so much in me not to run upstairs and lock myself in the room. However, I didn't want to expose anymore signs of feelings for simoné in front of Lilian. I didnt know what it was,  but I almost felt judged for it. So I just sat there.

"Anyway, this is what I mean, dear . She may seem enticing now, but any time Maria comes strolling through, game over. And you'll notice this pattern over and over and ove-"

"I need to use the bathroom. Excuse me.." I got up from my chair and headed upstairs. I've had enough for the night. No matter how much I wanted to seem unfazed, I couldn't just sit there and take that, true or not.