twenty-five: to kill or to kidnap

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter twenty-five
TO KILL OR TO KIDNAP
Kasnian Conglomerate , 2147 ▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter twenty-fiveTO KILL OR TO KIDNAPKasnian Conglomerate , 2147 ▂▂▂▂▂

❝great, we've gone from infanticide to child abduction. progress.❞

"THE FUTURE, IT'S—"

The Professor was interrupted from marveling at the distant future they were walking through by the three following behind him, and he merely closed his eyes for a moment in response.

"Fascinating."

"Astonishing."

"Remarkable."

Simultaneously, Jefferson, Sara, and Elle made their best impression of the older man, each choosing a different word Stein often used.

"Well, we each have a third of a chance of which one he was going to choose," Jefferson mused, glancing to his right where Elle and Sara walked beside him, both girls chuckling alongside the twenty-year-old.

The team (minus Kendra because she had chosen to stay on the ship, claiming she wasn't feeling the best) traveled a modern brick pathway that hugged the water edge of a clear blue river, appearing to have never met any pollution. Unlike the buildings Elle knew back home, every structure in sight was made of a glass-like material that closely resembled the color of the water. Sleek, pristine skyscrapers of all shapes, sizes, and heights stretched as far as the eye could see. And despite the clouds in the sky and the ugly as-sin monochromatic wool outfits they wore, the people idling about their day seemed happy.

Given everyone's wool garments, Elle wasn't exactly sure how that was possible. She hated wool and was biting her tongue to hold back a comment about how they should go back in time and murder whoever invented the most uncomfortable fabric known to man. Even though the sun wasn't visible, Elle was still hot because of the layers as well as the type of material she wore. Like Sara beside her, Elle adorned what resembled a pan suit with a more sophisticated robe on top, though the Anders girl's was a bit darker than the blond's. But the same color stuck throughout their individual outfits.

The future seemed dull, monotonous, and tasteless if the clothing was any indication.

"I was going to say 'remarkable,' Stein countered. "So Ms. Anders won your little wager."

A satisfied smile came on the teenager's lips before she turned to her left and stuck her tongue out at Jefferson before facing Sara and repeating her actions. She was met with a shove from Jax that pushed her into Sara, who was kind enough to set Elle straight. The Anders girl, however, did not miss the opportunity to send Jefferson a glare, which he only returned with a snicker.