nine: crashing into the cold war

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter nine
CRASHING INTO THE COLD WAR
The Soviet Union , 1986 ▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂ act one , chapter nine CRASHING INTO THE COLD WARThe Soviet Union , 1986 ▂▂▂▂▂

❝yeah, but it's your present, which is definitely worth fighting for.❞

WHOSEVER IDEA IT was to have the nine team members of supposed 'legends' infiltrate the Pentagon — also known as the most secure building in, like, all of freakin' history — was not a very intelligent person.

Oh, wait. That was the captain of the team, former Time Master, the one and only infamous (and not for good reasons) Rip Hunter.

The plan was uncomplicated, according to Rip. Steal a file that Gideon intercepted through a telefax, which Elle and Jefferson had just learned what it was, and steal the original copy because that intercepted one was mostly redacted by the classic government black marks on classified documents. This document was crucial in the team's next steps, given that it gave current 1986 intel on Savage, and so it was imperative that the team apprehend it. The hiccups that came along with the mission weren't called for, but they definitely were predicted by Elle, who muttered to Rip multiple times that the plan was not going to work, knowing how this team operated with the little time she had spent with the other seven people. She has been on a ship with one bathroom shared by eight other people for a few days now, and she could predict a lot of things about her team.

Everything between Jefferson as Firestorm causing a power surge to Kendra going bat shit crazy and clawing a guard's eyes out to Mick setting a portion of the Pentagon on fire, the entire operation just... fell apart. But it wasn't the Anders girl's fault because she had been quarter-backing the mission with Rip from the safety of the bridge. Elle could not possibly be blamed for the wreaked havoc, which had forced Gideon to generate an EMP, erasing all the footage of a she-hawk and the burning man in the country's capital.

She made that profoundly clear when the group rejoined Rip and Elle; the other six of the group received a nasty glare from the Englishman. It had been like watching a tennis match, Elle's neck cramping as she followed the conversation back and forth until Rip had ordered them to stop blaming each other — the blame game part two, Elle had thought. At least she wasn't involved in it this time.

In the short time it took for the team to get back, Gideon had already gone over the file, determining exactly where Vandal Savage was in 1986, and unfortunately, he was in Russia. Apparently, the immortal man decided to defect to the Soviet Union and, as Stein had pointed out, gone red at the height of the Cold War. Elle knew that meant nothing good, even if she didn't pay that much attention in history class; she understood that Savage and the Cold War would not mix well for the rest of the world in 1986 or the future. So the team's goal was to travel across the globe to Russia in order to see what Savage and the Soviet Union were cooking up, surely in an attempt to lay waste on the world.